OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

Page 1 of 11
Only the Texas GOP could produce such a fucktard.
Parents Who Skip School Meetings Could Be Fined
AUSTIN, Texas -- Parents beware: Miss a meeting with your child's teacher and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.
A Republican state lawmaker from Baytown has filed a bill that would charge parents of public school students with a misdemeanor and fine them for playing hooky from a scheduled parent-teacher conference.
Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in their child's education.
"I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to communicate. That's all the intent was," Smith said.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Your child is more important than anything else in the world. If it takes a $500 fine to get the parents to be responsible then so be it.

I was part of a school that wanted parents to get involved. They came up with one activity that they got everyone to do, and that was take the rule sheet home and have a parent sign it. That's really getting involved now. (All it really did was create hassle for me, having to remember to bring the thing home and back again.)
Puckdropper

This is SO beyond anything close to an acceptable answer that it's laughable. You really think that good parenting, like morals, can be legislated? Wake up.
People that habitually ignore the teacher will not give the meeting any effort. Attend or be fined? They'll show up and play cards or something.
The idea that a civil authority thought this was a real way to do something useful for children's education is nuts. He should be impeached.

The schools simply want the parents involved and especially when the kid gets into trouble. You might as well piss your pants because you child has to go to school also.
Leon wrote:

However, a law that would fine a parent for not meeting with a teacher (excepting a meeting with a teacher and a policeman or one set by a judge to discuss a crime or illegal act) is not only stupid but most likely illegal in any state.
Myxylplyk wrote:

He has a point, Leon. Sounds to me like that legislator's good intentions went a bit awry. -- It's turtles, all the way down
Myxylplyk wrote:

He has a point, Leon. Sounds to me like that legislator's good intentions went a bit awry.
He is assuming a PTA or PTO meeting for a crowd. The proposal is more for one on one.

be bothered would never go to a group meeting. Legislating social morals has and will never work. Showing up to a one one one with the teacher get them out of the fine. Now find a way to legislate their active participation in those meetings and you're all set. Oh, except that laws with fines usually require options for jail time for those unwilling to pay.
Maybe Texas should just skip the process and assume that all parents that are no-shows are just those chronicly bad parents and throw them right into jail. Then Texas can assume the wardship of the children and "bring them up propperly". We all have seen how well state run institutions function.
Happily, I don't live in Texas. I would be one of those mouthy people calling for this dim witted congressman's impeachment.
Myx

Scofflaws? (Only know of one who went to jail but he had over a thousand unpaid tickets and an attitude)
Mark http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome /
<snip>

Yes. Thanks for illustrating my point. Works equally "well" everywhere, as in doesn't work at all.

<snip>
Get enough parking fines and someone in the DA's office get notified. Soon after that the bench warrant with your name on it ... all for parking tickets. (BYW - a "ticket" is an appearance ticket. A notice that you must appear in court or plead guildty. This usually results in only a fine, but it's not directly equivalent.

If your schools were really state run institutions, we wouldn't be having this discussion. The state directs a curiculum that must be followed. (Unless your school doesnt receive state aide)

I will be happy when Shrub finally finished fencing in Texas for Walt Disney! :P

Myx
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:56:57 -0500, "Myxylplyk"

I don't know where you are but in the US most of the the schools _are_ run by the state in the sense that "state"="government" rather than in the sense that "state"="one of 50 specific political subunits". There are schools that are not run by the government, in some cases those are run by churches and in others are private profit-making businesses, but for the most part they are run by the government.

<snip>

That's not exactly right. Here, in NY, the local "government", i.e. town/city officials, effective handle only the school tax collection. The school superintendant is NOT an officer within the local/city government. That position is controlled by a locally elected school board. The board's only connection to the State government is they're responsible for meeting the educational requirement the NYState Department of Education set. The intended roll for the school board is as a educational overseer, with budgeting responsibilities. The members get elected based on their abilities to meet the local educational requirements within the state's guidelines. The guidelines get more and more specific as the amount of state aide your school system increases. In current reality, school boards do little actual planning beyond how to "maximize their state aide dollars". Seems their primary budgeting role is now finding a way to get the next levels "bigger pocket" to pay for local projects.
At no point can the local govenments be put into a position of choosing to "raid" the school tax funds to pay the local street lighting bill. There is no direct connection between town/city/county government and the school board, beyond some sccountability for spending the school tax dollars properly. (No home expansions for the school board member allowed. )
Private/church schools that provide the main stream education of children are also held to the NY State Department of Education's curiculum guidlines too. They get the lighter version due to their receipt of little to no state aide.
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:42:43 -0500, "Myxylplyk"

What part of "government=state=government" are you having trouble with? If they are run by the Federal government they are state schools. If they are run by New York State they are state schools. If they run by the county the are state schools. If they are run by the city they are state schools. If they are run by the school district they are state schools. It's all government, it's all the state.
If they're run by officials either elected by the populace or appointed by some level of government then they are state schools.

Which makes them not government how?

Which makes them not government how?

Which makes them not government how?

Which makes them not government how?

Which makes them not government how?

Which makes them not government how?

Which makes what difference?
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message Myxylplyk wrote:

While you can't legislate morals or good parenting, we do have a loooong history of punishing the bad of both ... just more of the same.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07
Leon wrote:

Fining them is easy. Collecting the fine is another story.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Pretty much indicates where you are coming from

I can see where this may be a good idea. Particularly in schools that are having "behavioral" problems with students whose parents are barely older than the children the school is trying to educate. What is a school to do when you have a discipline problem with a child and the parents continually avoid meeting with the teacher? Since education is mandatory and provided at taxpayer expense, there are some responsibilities that parents should assume.
Of course the application of this law needs to be reasonable. Trying to apply it to a parent who has an emergency situation the first time a meeting is scheduled should not result in a fine, after the second or third missed meeting however, it seems that the school should have some recourse.

This is what the local news suggested that the law is being considered for.

SNIP
Well, even if the others here won't say anything, I for one am proud of you for standing up for your rights as a parent. As there are many just like you that feel that skipping part of your child's needs are there prerogative, that is no doubt what brought this about.
My best buddy is a teacher in a disadvantaged district, and believe me, people like you make his job easy. Less than 30% of the parents that make appts. to see him show. That's right, less than 30%. The students that need a parent/teacher/prinicpal conference are not his star students, and he feels since their parents have sent them to the school to be raised rather than taking that on themselves (hey... they just pumped 'em out), the school should get a little help with the kids. Most likely source in their unenlightened eyes are the parents. Progress reports go unanswered; emails ignored; phone calls are unreturned.
As he will tell you, most of >those< kids never make it to their senior year.
But as we all know, the kiddos have rights, too. Their dumbasses have a right to stay just as stupid, uncaring, and ignorant as their uncaring parents. It is a tradition with some that has been passed from generation to generation. And my buddy will tell you too, some of the parents that do show up have a lot of bad attitude about their day being interrupted by the school calling; the only reason they show up is the threat of expulsion or long term suspension. Then the school would no longer baby sit; the parents would be fully responsible. Sensing the lesser of two evils (and impending responsibility), the parent go to the conference. I know you see their point; really, who wants to put out any more effort than you need to to take care of your kid?
Imagine someone wanting to break that cycle.
Thanks for standing up for all the other that are too stupid and lazy to take care of their kids. Without people like you to bravely speak up about how stupid it is to get parents involved in the education and affais of their children, we wouldn't even realize how far out of hand this whole parental involvement bullshit has gotten.
Good for you!
I will say though, I am not sure what being a Texan has to do with anything... you weren't by chance sticking your tongue out when you said that were you? This is the internet, so if you were you need to let us know.
Robert
It's really sad that a LOT of parents view school as something akin to sending raw materials into a factory. They just want to pick up a finished part at the end, and they blame the school for the problems.
My wife sees this even in Pre-K (She's a teacher for kids with special needs).