Opinions on the Delta TP400LS planer

Hi all... I was wondering if I could trouble some of you guys for your opinion on the Delta TP400LS planer.
First of all, I'm a casual woodworker, not overly swamped with projects etc. My current project is a bunk bed for my kids and I'm in need of a planer to keep going.
Just recently Canadian Tire had their Motomaster brand planer on sale.... seemed a little cheap so I let it pass and set my eyes on the Dewalt DW735 unit instead. Today I walked into my local Home Depot to buy it but was advised by one of the sales staff that he's been using the Delta TP400LS unit for about six months and is very happy with it. He's put all sorts of wood through it, including mahogany with no problems. So here I am, mr. casual woodworker, thinking whether I want to spend $700 on the Dewalt or $300 on the Delta. I'm curious to see what the current owners of the Delta think about this unit? What sort of wood were you planing with it and what were the end results? How bad is the snipe on it? etc etc...
I would really appreciate your input/comments..
thanks Alex
Alex - Check out the user reviews for the Delta at Amazon.com. That might help you decide. -E
Snip

Well if you are concerned enough about the money to have to compare, the cheaper one is really going to basically give you the same results as the expensive one with less bells and whistles. Ok, on granny speed the DeWalt will give you a smoother cut. SO WHAT. If you want to prepare your surface correctly you still need to sand, scrape or hand plane the final surface. Remember that these machines are thickness planers. I do this for a living but not a high production setting. I am still using my 16 year old 10" Ryobi and it is still quite capable of planing to the thickness that I want. Keep in mind also that while one planer may provide a smoother surface out of the box it will only be a matter of a few hours before a knife has a nick in it and then the planer planes like any other. I would also not be too worried about snipe either. Plane you boards before squaring or cutting to length. Chances are that the board will have a split on one end where the snipe is going to occur.
Ken and Eric... thank you for your input. Sure enough, I went to Amazon site as well as Epinion.com and read through all sorts of reviews. Bottom line is that I really don't need the Dewalt for the woodworking that I do. I appreciate you guys making up my mind. Thanks!
Alex
Leon...
yep.. I think you just made up my mind. Now I need to find a good price on a Delta. :)
Canadian eh!
I have used the Delta, TP 300, the TP400 and the 22-580 and found all to be reliable performers that do what they are supposed to. If you live near a Home Hardware they have the TP 300 for $229 cdn, I think the best deal is the 22-580 at Rideout Tools for $349 cdn. Check their web site, they are a reliable outfit.
Ken
Ken wrote::

Definitely a deal. House of Tools here in Victoria wants ALL the money ($549).
Terry
Terry...
justcame back from Rona... they want $629!!!!!!!! I wonder if the one Ken's talking about is a reconditioned unit, eh?
Alex
Forgot to mention, TP300.....snipe, TP400......minimal snipe, 22-580 ....snipe almost a thing of the past.
Ken....
$349 is an excellent deal. I believe Rona has it for $499 and it looks like this is the one I will be going for... I'll check the pricing again tonight. Unfortunately we don't have Rideout Tools here in the Toronto area and from what I've seen on their webpage, they don't ship which is too bad.
I'll check Home Hardware as well to see what they've got...
Hey Ken - thanks for the info, eh?
Rideout Tools definitely ships .Call the toll free # on the web site. I have bought a number of tools from them and shipping is always prompt, and I am in a different province, although not to far away. Toronto should be no problem. The 22-580 I got was new, not reconditioned, and worked great right out of the box. The dust hood is a 40 $ accessory tho, and there is no second set of knives a la the TP 400.
PS No affiliation with Rideout tools beyond satisfied customer