Open the Box.

A recent thread brought these two incidents to mind. After having Sears hold money for 6 months without delivery of $600 worth of items, I called the Better Business Bureau and the city where the store was situated, successfully asking both entities to give Sears their opinion about its order fulfillment practices.

What later ensued was abrupt message from Sears on my answering robot instructing me to pick up the merchandise. On arriving at the store, the scowling greeting overwhelmed my heart. When the boxes where wheeled out with the snarling announcement of "Here's your stuff", I wondered. Then I asked them to watch while the boxes were opened, earning a warm "What, you think we're trying to screw you?" from the clerk. On opening, every door in the rollaways was kicked in. No need to think what my situation would have been if I called in that report from the house.

Case two involves Home Depot. I binged on supplies for a project. At home, I opened the heavy nail gun case and--voila!--no nail gun. Returning back to the store, my revelation of the situation won some suspicious looks at the return desk. The manager came and-- kindly and, reluctantly-- said "Give him another one". Returning to the tool department after getting the gun, I found they had unpacked the orignial gun from the first box and used it as a display item without marking or tossing the empty case they first sold me.

After that, I open everything before getting a receipt. It is unsurpring how many boxes have been pilfered or have damaged merchandise which it is far less awkward to deal with before you plunk the money down than later.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

This story needs an ending - what happened next?

Reply to
_

It was pretty wordless after that. New ones were immediately brought and I left the store with them and a rich lesson.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

It pays to check all right! A few years ago, I bought some new brakes shoes for my car. After a 40 mile round trip, with the rear brakes apart, I found one box had 2 nicely cleaned up, and completely worn out shoes in it! After putting the old shoes back in the car, 20 miles of winding country road to the store, I was greeted with great suspicion. They finally caved in, and gave me another set. The clerk and manager were not pleased when I checked each shoe in front of them!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

As a mechanic i learned long ago to check all deliveries. Quite often, someone will order a part, remove a crucial clip or something, and return the part. They restock it and send it out again without checking.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I was a motorcycle mechanic/partsman/salesman for a number of years. There were very few problems with missing bits. I did brit bikes, Honda, and Harley Davidson. One incident stands out though. I had a brand new Hog ready for a customer to pick up at noon. At 10:00 AM, I decided to give it a short test run, to make sure the customer would have a trouble free ride home, about 100 miles away. While on the road the electric starter cut in. It turned out that the solenoid had no return spring. After a hurried rebuild everything was OK.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

That might be the single biggest thing I learned in 7 years in the US Army. I don't sign for anything before I inspect it.

It was kinda funny when we closed on our house. Several people sitting around a table signing document after document after document, but one person (me!) reading them before signing. What they had scheduled for a half hour took all afternoon.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Just to pile on here; this problem is not yet resolved, but am still working it with Home Depot.

Ordered some laminate for a quick kitchen replacement of the tile countertop. The order was for two 5 x 12 sheets and one 4 x 8 sheet. (BTW, HD's price is just a little over 1/2 of what Lowe's was going to charge for the same product.) Got a call from HD that my order was in and went to pick it up. The stuff comes rolled up in a box; the special order clerk and I looked inside to make sure the color was right, but we didn't take the stuff out of the box -- I can't imagine being able to get that stuff rolled back up into a 12" x 12" square container and there was no way to tell if there was one, two or five sheets in the box.

Yep, got home and found out I was shorted the 4 x 8 sheet. Called HD, they were apologetic and said they would look into it. Called again a week later, they are still looking into it, the expediter has me on her list to call when they get it figured out. Went in today in person, the associate called the service center, lady handling this was on lunch break; he took my name and said he'd call back. That was 7 hours ago; no phone call.

At this point, I'm pretty confident that HD will make the right; but right now, I'm thinking having the desk clerks re-roll the laminate would have been less hassle.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Just because they're used to signing things they don't understand or agree with, doesn't mean you should do the same. Good for you, I did the same.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

And if you closely read _their_ terms of service, you'll probably find they've already excluded all liability, so they don't care what they sign...

Reply to
David R Brooks