Flat ceiling to cathedral or open box?

These 8' ceiling are closing in on me.

Anyone have experience opening up the ceiling and reshaping the rafters into a cathedral or stepped-up open box (If that's the right name)?

I'm good with a saw and hammer, and can cut the hell out of boards, :) but I know nothing about reshaping rafters and still have them strong enough to carry the loads.

Is it as simple as adding boards to the rafters that will be in the final shape, and then removing the sections that you don't need from the old design?

TIA

Reply to
Kevin

I have no clue what you mean by "reshaping rafters".

While, in general, you can remove ceiling joists and install collar ties to resist the spreading forces in a gabled roof, there are so many factors involved that it would be nuts for you to take newsgroup advice on how to proceed yourself.

I suggest that, if you're equally adept with a phone as the saw and hammer, that you call an engineer. It might cost you a couple or three hundred bucks, but he will keep your roof where it's supposed to be.

RicodJour

Reply to
no1herenow

Not if you don't want the house to fall down.

You need a structural engineer to study your specific home and design the changes needed. Then you need to make those changes that may not be very easy. It may require, or be easier and cheaper, to totally remove the existing roof and replace it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan