Cabinet making steps

Hi gang, Im a relatively new woodworker. I have been toying with the idea of selling some of my work. Pre built stuff like boxes and blanket chests. Well after discussing this with my boss, he wants me to build him a large built in bookcase wall unit thing. Cabinets at the bottom, a breakfront in the middle to accommodate a TV and book shelves at the top. This sucker has to be 15 foot wide by 9 foot high!

Im not a cabinet maker, but I think I can handle this job. It might take a while but the client seems patient.

I remember seeing a webpage that had workflow steps for generic cabinet making but I cant find it now. My question is, can anyone point me toward that page or can anyone spell out the most efficient ways to assemble a cabinet? It sounds basic but when I was reading those steps before, it was very helpful.

Thanks, BadAndy

Reply to
Andy H

A few "other" tips not in direct response to your question but relevant just the same maybe.

You will soon find that selling a pre-built thing and making something by commission are worlds apart. Just make very sure you set the expectations correctly. A few pointers I would suggest.

  1. Provide a detailed drawing
  2. Provide a photo image of something very similar in style and quality to make sure you are on the same page
  3. Provide a completely finished sample of the final finish on a large enough piece of scrap to show what they'll be getting. I often dummy up a door or some other actual element of the piece.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Tom Plamann's got a pretty good photo essay on a built in you probably should go through - a couple of times - at least.

aware that walls are seldom straight and plumb, corners are seldom square, especially inside corners

- AND - floors aren't always flat or horizontal. So figure on including some means of "adjusting" width and depth.

I'd rather start with the "built in" and then build the room around it - but that's just based on my experiences with built ins.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Thanks Charlie, Thats a completely different construction method than I had planned on. I was going to make cabinets like in a kitchen and install them just like a kitchen. Plamann built his in place. I guess than ensures that everything is straight and square.

Thanks also to Sonoma, I had already planned the detailed drawing, but I like the idea of giving them a door to see the quality and finish.

To be honest Im a little nervous about taking this job. Its pretty big and its in my bosses house! But I could make a pretty penny if it works out, and I'd get god referrals from my boss.

Thanks for all (both) who offered advise.

BadAndy

Reply to
Andy H

"Andy H" wrote

You can't get better referrals than that!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

HA! Depends on your views I guess. I meant good referrals

BadAndy

Reply to
Andy H

If you build it as one peice, it won't fit through a normal doorway. Remember the person that built a sail boat in there basement?

Reply to
Warren Weber

I planned on building Five 36" base cabinets and five 36" shelve units and assembling/installing them on site.

BadAndy

Reply to
Andy H