Oil and water base finish ?

This is for a Cherry cabinet. I've ordered (per Jeff at Homestead) some WB Fuhr #355 Acrylic Varnish and the #365 Sealer (as well as some Red/Brown trans-tint, just to experiment later).

Here's my thought. Can I use Danish or BLO under the WB ? Maybe some Cherry or Fruitwood Watco to get the color and texture nice, then the WB over that ? Even if that is OK, am I looking at waiting days or weeks for the oil to dry well enough before I can spray the topcoat ?

Anyone done this ? BTW - I would have ask Jeff on the phone, but he seems so busy, I felt guilty about taking his time. Plus there's a good chance that someone here has done this (or similiar). Like many who do Cherry projects, I'm just looking to help the 'aging' coloring along a little bit - not a lot - just a little.

The topcoat will be sprayed btw - got a GREAT deal ($250) on a Turbinaire that was used once for 30 min !

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Jim, Putting cherry in direct sunlight and rotating it periodically will "age" it nicely in a fairly short time. Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

Jim, I spray General Finish Water Bourne poly over Miniwax mahogany oil stain all the time. I have never had a problem. Ted

Reply to
Bigpole

I've used BLO and oil-based stains under WB poly many times without trouble, provided ample curing time is allowd for the stain or BLO. 24 hours at a minimum, longer on cool or humid days.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman