Oh, Lee Valley... REALLY?

I've been asked to submit a proposal for a seminar on building Cigar Box Guitars at our local Lee Valley store.
But apparently we're not allowed to use the word "cigar" in advertising or describing the session. Are Lee Valley's customers too stupid to understand that the store doesn't sell tobacco products?
This is politically correct insanity! Robin, you should be ashamed of yourself.
But in that vein... When are you going to stop selling your "cigar box lock", and your "Twist (Cigar) Pen Hardware", vis:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pF517&cat=3,41419,41455
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pS435&cat=1,250,43243,53758, 53435
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pb162&cat=1,250,43243,53758

I had thought better of Robin Lee...
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Froz...

SWMBO suggests I should pass out cigars at the beginning of the seminar. <chuckle>
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 19:12:35 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Email him directly and make an attempt to discuss it with him. If I were him, I wouldn't try to discuss it with you in an open forum either.
Did you actually try to talk to him directly? If not, maybe the response you got was from a manager or something.
And, just because he's the final word when it come to operating Lee Valley Tools, doesn't mean he and LV are immune to all that "sensitive political crap" that goes on these days. He has a business to run, employees to keep working and so much more on his plate than you or I will ever know.

Robin used to be a regular here... And had no problem jumping in to any discussion.
--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.

I do see the occasional comment from him in other forums, so I suspect he might still be reading what goes on here. But, considering the amount of OT dialogue, I could well be mistaken.
But still, why not email him privately? You've jumped on him without his involvement. Robin has always been a reasonable guy as far as I've seen. At the very least he should be given the opportunity to respond to you in a cordial manner.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Well, hell, call it something else: 1. The non-abortion woodworking project, 2. Make a banjo like the coloreds did, 3. Wetback violin 4. What women are not allowed to play or male-only seminar 5. "... and you can hide your stash inside!" and so on.
On 9/6/2012 7:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Call it a "Seegar" box guitar and, if anyone inquires, tell them the truth or explain that it is "well-known" that the instrument was named after Mr. Smokey Seegar. :)
The description of the seminar ought to resolve any mystery--you could adequately describe Mr. Seegar's work. I suspect the group would enjoy assisting you with this!

Monica's box.

I suspect you're right...