Oak block floor advice sought please

Richard asks:

Sand, refinish. That said, sanding floors is a job that can be very difficult to get right. I've seen even pros leave washboard effects. If it were me, and my oak block floor, I'd hire a well recommended local guy or gal to do the job for me, at least the sanding.

If not, when you rent the flooring sander, look for a random orbital model. These are much easier to control, do not leave the gouges that big belt sanders leave--and tend to be harder to find in rental stores.

Use a top grade finish. These days, water borne works almost as well as oil-based, which means a lot faster finish (two, sometimes three, coats per day). You will need at least three coats. Check at your local finishing outlet for fillers (should not be needed on a refinish, but if your oak blocks show end grain, a filler might be needed) and any stains (probably not a good idea on a refinish).

Some of the newest ROS for floors coming with built-in vacs. Most don't. Seal the doorways with plastic and blue tape to confine the dust to the hall. Vacuum super carefully and do a general wipe-down and clean-up before laying on the first coat of finish. Make sure all dust has settled out of the air, and been vacuumed or wipe up, before the first coat goes on. Follow finish manufacturer's directions exactly.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

My hallway has the original oak block flooring which I wish to renovate. Advice is sought as to best methods please. Richard

Reply to
Richard

FWIW, many years ago when I was young and foolish I neglected the "seal the doorways with plastic and blue tape" (and I'd add to that any heating vents, baseboard heaters, radiators, or anything else that is permanently installed and has nooks and crannies that can collect and hold dust) and 20 years later I'm still cleaning it up.

Reply to
J. Clarke