Floor tiles - advice please

Finally got rid of the carpets and tiling the lounge and dining room ( concrete ) floors.

I,m tiling up to the skirting leaving a small gap. Is it best to use grout in the gap or a suitable coloured silicone sealant. ?

Any ideas to prevent a couple of rugs turning into skateboards on the tiles ?

And ,finally ,the big heavy sofa has old fashioned , small , metal castors, I'm concerned they'll damage the tiles, any suggestions ?

Chris

Reply to
Ozzie

Take off the castors and fit felt pads to the feet.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Take off the castors and fit rubberised castors - screwfix 86718

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ceramic-y sort of tiles? Don't know.

rug gripper tape.

item 330044087801 or 140045376040 (no connection with the sellers)

Used to be able to get 'furniture cups' to protect carpet but I don't know how well they'd work on tiles. I think substituting the castors with something else would be better

Owain

Reply to
Owain

How about removing skirting board, tiling nearly to wall and then replacing skirting board. above tiles - that is what I did.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Yes, it would be a lot of work but by far the best solution.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I second that having done the same with laminate. Also means the cut edges (where applicable) don't have to be perfect because they are hidden.

Tiling is going to be a fairly big job so the effort of removing the skirting will be proportionately low.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I did my kitchen floor and left a 5mm gap next to skirting and groute the whole floor with flexable grout right up to the skirting and hav had no problems at al

-- davemo

Reply to
davemo

Ue acrylic sealant, or grout, but the grout will most likely crack at some piount.

you can by a sort of high friction plastic sheet somewhere..

castor cups.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

best advice certainly.