Floor tiles and skirting boards.....

I am probably going to replacing the existing carpet in my Hallway with Floor tiles. This will be extended to the 3 rooms that lead off the hallway - Kitchen, Utility Room and Loo.

The Hallway and kitchen however have 6" stained wooden skirting board and I am a little reluctant to tile direct to the skirting. (Purely because once wet, the grout can crack away from the wood making it unsightly.) I know I could add a boarder over the top of any join, but think that would make it look a little tacky.

What do you think would be the best way to achieve a good result?

The options appear to be (1) remove the skirting and tile to the wall or (2) if possible, get something that will route the bottom 3/4" from the skirting, enabling me to tile to the wall without removing.

I have no idea if option 2 is possible and if it were, how to go about it.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

On a different note, the missus is now contemplating removing all carpet on ground floor level and tiling.

The dilema I have with this option, is the fact the area I have spoken about above, has a long narrow passageway. (Probably about 2.5 metres long and only 85cm wide - but widens at both ends.)

I was going to tile this area with 30cm tiles, but think that size tile in the living roor and dining room (which is one room) and measures 17' x 29' , would look silly. OTOH, using 60cm tiles I would prefer in the larger area, would look silly in that passageway.

Any helpful tips appreciated.

Reply to
guv
[snip]

Not really helpful but I'd reconsider the whole idea. Tiles make the area noisy and aren't any easier to keep clean - worse if anything.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hmmm. You are the first person Ive heard say its harder to keep clean! I can see you point about noise though, but doubt it will be that bad.

Reply to
guv

I've got tiles in my vestibule and they show every mark. The carpet beyond doesn't - and only requires hoovering. The tiles need washing. ;-)

I suppose it depends on the traffic. But as well as footsteps themselves making more noise it also makes the room more 'lively' which accentuates that noise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Option 1, and perhaps budget for buying some repalcement skirting board.

(I presume that you are referring to ceramic tiles.)

Reply to
Michael Chare

guv wrote: Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message would have been removed from Groups in 6 days (Nov 25,

10:06 am) had a careful responder not had more empathy than the dick head who posted the request.

Alter your newsreader's settings to allow others to understand what's going on in future will you?

There are saw designed for doing what you wanted. Carpet fitters use them on doors. Also biscuit routers will do the job. Just tape a packer under it to get the height you want.

But what makes you think that there will be a mess if you just grout to the wall? Use some PVA in the grout and it will hold. Paint some on the skirting to make sure.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I use X-No-archive for very good reason. If it means I dont get an answer because you dont use a decent newsfeed, than thats my look out and absolutely no reason for abuse.

OK. Thankyou.

PVA may well keep a decent bond. However, Ive seen floor tiles against wood, that after time, the grout seperates from the wooden surface through water contact and it doesnt look nice. Maybe a good PVA coating will remedy that as you say.

Reply to
guv

OTOH, spilling stuff just requires a quick wipe as opposed to a permanent stain!

No traffic at all when I'm sitting on the sofa watching TV ;-)

I do understand your point though and there would be far more noise from the missus if she wasn't obeyed!

Reply to
guv

To be honest, if the tiles I were buying had a skirting board appearance type border, I'd use them!

Near enough - porcelain.

Reply to
guv

That wasn't abuse; that was you getting slapped.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Really. So if I call you a dick head for using googlegroups for your newsfeed, that would be ok?

In the 12 years I have posted to usenet, yours is the first complaint about using X-No-archive I have ever seen about anyone. Congratulations.

Reply to
guv

Yup.

Reply to