O/T; World's Largest Solar

World's largest solar installation to be in California desert.

Lew Hodgett

HeyBub

Next thing you know, mushrooms are growing underneath the panels and then snakes and other wildlife come and a whole new eco system starts.

What kind of eco impact will these disturbances have on the whole world?... glaciers starting in Ca?

When will mankind start leaving things as they were supposed to be...petroleum comsumption and smog?

Josepi

installations they were putting in around the time I left CA. That was a couple months after the natural gas pipeline bottleneck was causing CA trouble. Brilliant they weren't.

"But there may be a reason for the speed of the project's approval: builders must break ground by the end of the year to take advantage of federal stimulus funds."

I think they meant to say "break sand". Blythe is out in Fort Stinkin' Desert.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Gives away the underlying problem -- it wouldn't be being done at all w/o the stimulus and the other incentives.

NG, while a sorry choice for many reasons the primary being that it's too valuable/useful for other purposes than central station generation, has the distinct advantage (along w/ other conventional generation technologies) of being both relatively inexpensive _and_ reliable, neither of which is the above.

And speaking of "massive"; footprint is invisible in comparison to on a per MW basis.

--

Reply to
dpb

-------------------------------------- Without gov't incentives, the transistor and the internet wouldn't exist.

One of the basic functions of gov't IMHO.

Help to provide an environment to develop solutions that the private sector can't afford to do by themselves.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And, government or not, without folks like Clarence Zener, one of my college physics professors (and my ex's boss, who was his secretary for a few years while I was in college).

Reply to
Swingman

Land of the Eloi.

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, electricity without burning fossil fuels, what will those crazy hippies try next? Pollution is meant to be, there's something in the Bible somewhere about it, I think I heard that.

Reply to
DGDevin

Yep it is going to be here in Calif. too bad. It is estimated that so called Green Energy is going to more than double our current costs. Joe in Ca.

Reply to
<jmohnike

That's impossible. Grayout Davis already quintupled it before he left orifice.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

------------------------------------ Is that the coal or the oil industry doing the calculating?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Psst. Oil is not used to generate power. Gas certainly is, but it's non-polluting. True, about half our electrical energy is generated by coal, but there are only ten coal-fired electrical generators (at five sites) in California and combined produce less than 1% of the state's electricity.

Reply to
HeyBub

Huh? The transistor was developed by Bell Labs. But no one uses transistors anymore.

I'll give you the internet inasmuch as it was invented by a senator from Tennessee.

Reply to
HeyBub

You're overlooking all the "green" jobs that will be created by current government incentives.

For example, due to government mandates, the last GE incandescent light-bulb plant in the U.S. is scheduled to be closed, but the loss of jobs will be more than offset by an increased number of "green" job workers in China as they produce all our needed CFLs.

Reply to
HeyBub

It isn't? Then what pray tell is the liquid that is burned by power plants?

While it's not going into many new plant startups, it most assuredly is being used.

By what standard? By the standards of the AGW advocates it most assuredly _is_ polluting.

However California is run by loons so it doesn't have much relevance.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Your CPU, you are accessing the Internet with, contains millions of transistors.

I'll give you the internet inasmuch as it was invented by a senator from Tennessee.

Reply to
Josepi

Deisel oil would never be used for that...LOL

Reply to
Josepi

The airplane was invented without the help of government.

Huh? I use transistors every day. BTW, the *bipolar* transistor was invented by Bell Labs.

Reply to
krw

Every corporation has a CEO and every CEO at a minimum needs to maintain his level of compensation. So, if your selling less product you need to increase the unit price in order to maintain. Executive Compensation 101, straight out of the insurance industry handbook.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Texas