O/T; World's Largest Solar

Page 1 of 2
World's largest solar installation to be in California desert.
http://tinyurl.com/23x9xov
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Exactly what one would expect of California.
HeyBub wrote the following:

Land of the Eloi.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Yeah, electricity without burning fossil fuels, what will those crazy hippies try next? Pollution is meant to be, there's something in the Bible somewhere about it, I think I heard that.
DGDevin wrote:

Psst. Oil is not used to generate power. Gas certainly is, but it's non-polluting. True, about half our electrical energy is generated by coal, but there are only ten coal-fired electrical generators (at five sites) in California and combined produce less than 1% of the state's electricity.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

It isn't? Then what pray tell is the liquid that is burned by power plants?
While it's not going into many new plant startups, it most assuredly is being used.

By what standard? By the standards of the AGW advocates it most assuredly _is_ polluting.

However California is run by loons so it doesn't have much relevance.
Deisel oil would never be used for that...LOL
Psst. Oil is not used to generate power. Gas certainly is, but it's non-polluting. True, about half our electrical energy is generated by coal, but there are only ten coal-fired electrical generators (at five sites) in California and combined produce less than 1% of the state's electricity.
Next thing you know, mushrooms are growing underneath the panels and then snakes and other wildlife come and a whole new eco system starts.
What kind of eco impact will these disturbances have on the whole world?... glaciers starting in Ca?
When will mankind start leaving things as they were supposed to be...petroleum comsumption and smog?
World's largest solar installation to be in California desert.
http://tinyurl.com/23x9xov
Lew
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:36:52 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Cool. Sure beats the massive and expensive-to-run natural-gas installations they were putting in around the time I left CA. That was a couple months after the natural gas pipeline bottleneck was causing CA trouble. Brilliant they weren't.
"But there may be a reason for the speed of the project's approval: builders must break ground by the end of the year to take advantage of federal stimulus funds."
I think they meant to say "break sand". Blythe is out in Fort Stinkin' Desert.
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales
Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Gives away the underlying problem -- it wouldn't be being done at all w/o the stimulus and the other incentives.
NG, while a sorry choice for many reasons the primary being that it's too valuable/useful for other purposes than central station generation, has the distinct advantage (along w/ other conventional generation technologies) of being both relatively inexpensive _and_ reliable, neither of which is the above.
And speaking of "massive"; footprint is invisible in comparison to on a per MW basis.
"dpb" wrote:

Without gov't incentives, the transistor and the internet wouldn't exist.
One of the basic functions of gov't IMHO.
Help to provide an environment to develop solutions that the private sector can't afford to do by themselves.
Lew
On 10/26/2010 12:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

And, government or not, without folks like Clarence Zener, one of my college physics professors (and my ex's boss, who was his secretary for a few years while I was in college).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Huh? The transistor was developed by Bell Labs. But no one uses transistors anymore.
I'll give you the internet inasmuch as it was invented by a senator from Tennessee.
Your CPU, you are accessing the Internet with, contains millions of transistors.
Huh? The transistor was developed by Bell Labs. But no one uses transistors anymore.
I'll give you the internet inasmuch as it was invented by a senator from Tennessee.

The airplane was invented without the help of government.

Huh? I use transistors every day. BTW, the *bipolar* transistor was invented by Bell Labs.

Let see the if we do not use transistors, you are not upon the internet.
Mark
He thinks it's a "nun with a sex change"
Let see the if we do not use transistors, you are not upon the internet.
Mark
Lew Hodgett wrote:

No problem w/ R&D; not so much keen after that. If it'll be cost effective, it'll get picked up.
"dpb" wrote:

------------------------- In this case, the technology appears sound.
SFWIW, even Chevron has a piece of the action.
Sun heats oil via parabolic mirrors, oil drives boiler to produce steam, steam drives turbine, turbine drives generator.
Heating the oil is about all that is new.
In this case gov't provides a kick in the pants to get things started via tax incentives.
Next thing you know, more geothermal.
Lots of it available here in SoCal.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Which means they're playing the gov't, and the technology doesn't pay on its own merit. Subsidizing more expensive technology for the sake of alternative agenda.