O/T: Welcome to $4/gal gasoline

Page 2 of 5

40 Oz gallon, right? (Imperial)
*********************
Don't quite follow that but the Imperial gallon is approximately 4.5 litres and just a little bit more the US gallon is 4 litres or thereabouts so, the US gallon divided by 4 equals 4 litres so, at $4.00 a gallon, brings you to the result of $1.00 per litre Regardless of how many litres are in an Imperial gallon, which by the way, we do not work with here in OZ, as we have progressed Dorothy and we work with metrics. and as we all know, the measurement of a litre does not differ wherever you live so, the cost of a litre of fuel, gas to you, petrol to us, fuel to others, here in OZ, is $1.50 a litre Bringing up to the conclusion that we pay 50% more for our fuel than what you do Then again, we do pay a lot more for our cars than you Do you call them cars over there ?

He meant 40oz quart (160oz gallon). An imperial gallon is 160/128 (40/32 or 125%) of a US gallon.

40 0unce quarts...160 oz gallons as opposed to the US 32 ounce quarts.

40 0unce quarts...160 oz gallons as opposed to the US 32 ounce quarts.
******************
Okay, now I understand it all It's just that you lot over there speak a foriegn language and it needs to be interpreted
All our questions [about how gullible audiences get gouged] answered! Sensational, too.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/energy/7443462.html
Can you make this stuff up? How timely.
Dave in Houston
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 17:20:17 +1100, "George W Frost"

Everybody who wants to post their comparitive gasoline pricing needs to adjust for their state/country taxes. I am fairly sure that gas is not really that variable in price, just that some countries/states want to tax it more than others either for revenue purposes or to try to influence the actions of their citizens. I would bet that OZ has a damned high tax rate compared to Wyoming... as does California (to a lesser degree of course).

There is a big difference in formulations, as well. The difference in taxes between CA and AL, for instance, is *not* $1/gallon.

Indiana pump price did not include the taxes back in the past. Perhaps a hoosier can enlighten me if that is still the case, I believe that changed.
Mark

Indiana pump prices have always included applicable state and Federal gasoline taxes. Through the late 1970s, maybe into the early 1980s, the pump price did not include state sales tax. I don't remember exactly when it changed, but our pump prices have included all taxes, including state sales tax, for approximately thirty years.

It costs twice that in Europe yet is still cheaper than bottled water.

Come north for a visit, Lew. We've had gas in that range for a long time. Yet our economy seems to be doing better than yours...

Some of the subsidies coming off down there? About time.

One of them. How come the US isn't doing it on US soil?
Or building nuclear plants?

Well, it's probably not to defend Israel any more...
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca says...

For certain values of "better".

Actually has more to do with gasohol than with subsidies.

Where?

Protesters. Why isn't Canuckistan building rows of them along the border to sell cheap nuclear power to the US market like the French have done with Italy and are likely to start doing with Germany soon?

Defend Israel from _what_? The last time there was a credible danger to Israel was some time in the '50s.

That's nonsense. It has to do with protectionism, keeping up with European farm subsidies, and intruding into developing economies.
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca says...

All of that makes food more expensive? Do tell.
The problem, which is well publicized, is that the US is encouraging the incorporation of ethanol into gasoline, and farmers have discovered that they can get higher prices for crops raised to be turned into ethanol than they can for crops raised to be sold as food, hence significant amounts of acreage are going to the production of ethanol and food prices rise accordingly as supply is lessened.

Removing gummint subsidies makes things cheaper? Do tell.

When people are subsides to Not produce, yes.
--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

It hurts, but I agree. There should be no subsidies to multinational (or domestic) agro/food giants.

They are. Only the Treehuggers know why we're not drilling offshore. I remember the mess on CA beaches in the late '60s from the Santa Monica spill, and I'd =MUCH= rather face the -possibility- of those hazards than to feed the Arabs who are supporting Islamic terrorists.
You do know that 34% of our oil is domestic, don't you? Another third we get from Canada and Mexico. That last third is Arab imports. http://lugar.senate.gov/energy/graphs/oilimport.html

They are, finally! http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/nuc_reactors/reactorcom.html

They're supposed to keep safe the flow of oil from the region, not defend Israel...aren't they?
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
"Dave Balderstone" wrote:

--------------------------- Thanks for the invite; however, long time ago I learned to limit my visits north to Jul 1 thru Aug 15, and then only if the mosquitoes file flight plans<g> ------------------------------

------------------ Not to belabor the point, but what is the population of Canada these days, 33-35 million maybe?
Small problem of scale with US population pushing 310 million, and even my adopted state of California is pushing 38 million. -------------------------------

--------------------------------- Try some basic market factors at work.
Increased fuel costs dramatically increase production and transportation costs of food.
Increased demand due to the poorest citizens of the world are beginning to be able to buy some food.
World wheat crop shortages that have occurred do to weather problems induced by a warmer earth.
Drought in Russia and flooding in Australia have caused a shortfall in the world's wheat supply.
Can't comment on the rice and soy bean crops.

----------------------------------- $. Never let it be said the oil industry isn't a greedy bunch. Off shore is lower cost than revisiting US existing fields.
New fields would require safety costs big oil would just rather avoid. ----------------------------------

---------------------------- I'm all for it as soon as they can solve the half life problem. Yucca mountain is not an acceptable answer IMHO. -----------------------------

--------------------------------- Woke up and found someone had crapped in your flat hat I see.
Let's see, what percentage of the world's oil is shipped thru the Suez Canal these days, he asks?
Lew

Sorry, Lew, but I've seen just the opposite. They are drilling aplenty, all over South Texas. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a drilling rig. Eagle Ford Shale is absolutely in play. Every morning [during hunting season] when I climbed up in my tri-pod in the dark I could count five or six lighted rigs not to mention three or four gas flares from recently completed sites, some as close as a half mile. Over the course of the season the locations would change as three to four weeks There are tank batteries and pipelines being built and the county roads and blacktops are going to hell because of the heavy truck traffic. Six or eight inch sectioned aluminum piping runs up and down county roads pumping brazillions of gallons of water to 'frac' wells that have completed the drilling portion of the operation. Loads by the score of base material for all-weather road access and five-acre pad sites are a real hazard on the dirt county roads. $90 and $100 and up/barrel is plenty of incentive for the majors to jump in. Even the Chinese ponied up several billions, buying a substantial share of Chesapeake's stake in the Eagle Ford You're right, the oil industry is greedy but so are farmers/ranchers who are getting $4500/acre [and up] bonus money for leases and as much as 1/4 royalty at the well head. I'm seeing LOTS of new John Deere tractors and new implements. And, new trucks; you see lots of new trucks parked at the drilling sites. Money is absolutely flowing.
Dave in Houston

My hometown is largely based on petro-chemica industry. (And bananas) I can't count how many oil guys I know who are very much in demand to drill, build related industries all over Canada. But the oil companies know a good thing when they see it: a conflict in Egypt.."Hey let's screw over our customers with a price hike" even though the actual amount of oil going through the Suez Canal is a mere pittance of what we need here. Ahhh yes, that good-ol' fear-driven marketing strategy, works in politics too."LOOK OUT!! A boogaboo under your bed!!!"