O/T: Think Test

Page 1 of 2
Beat 20 out of 25.
Enjoy
Lew ----------------------------------------------- Http://oldjoeblack.0nyx.com/thinktst.htm

17
Bill

23
The test should factor time into account. I refused to eat any soup as a kid, so the Campbell's soup can was a problem.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Well, you can either add or subtract one, depending on how you answered this:
"Which way does water go down the drain, counter or clockwise?" (north of the equator) [] Counter Clockwise [] Clockwise [] Straight down

Yeah, that bothered me, too. I knew the answer the test was looking for, but it's a stupid question.
"Mike Paulsen" wrote:

The question remains how did you answer the question?
Lew

23
Weather and drains in the top half rotate the same way. Think of a screw stuck in the ground. A low pressure area is air moving up. It has to move counter-clockwise to move up. High pressure (air descending), or water going down a drain, has to move clockwise to go down. Easier than soup, and I don't smoke (matches).
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I answered "Straight down", since "none of the above" wasn't an option. Result:
Wrong! [which I expected] Clockwise. (north of the equator) [which I found amusing]
They even got wrong, wrong.
Lew Hodgett said:

Reminds me of the movie, "Yahoo Serious." In it they answer the question - Jokingly...
What is commonly refered to as the Coriolis Force (the force resulting from the Earths spin) is a couple orders of magnitude too small to affect the spin of a drain.
But if it weren't the water would travel counterclockwise.
They should have added a forth option, "The direction the jets are pointed in the toilet bowl."
Greg G.
Greg G. said:

Actually, it was the movie, "Young Einstein", starring Yahoo Serious. My bad... You know you're a sick puppy when you argue with yourself.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

If you don't, there are plenty of people in here waiting to. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I think you're wrong about that.
RicodJour wrote:

You're out of your mind if you believe that bull$h!t.
--

-MIKE-

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:54:49 -0400, the infamous Greg

Hey, that sick puppy looks familiar. You that same womanizin' stud muffin from Down Under who used to haunt these halls?
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
My nitpicks were with the fan, the question doesn't state whethere looking at it from the endcap or the blade end, and I would bet that the "standard" number of wheel lugs is probably now 4 rather than 5. I did get both of those questions right though.

On Oct 30, 5:39am, snipped-for-privacy@green.rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

I've heard teachers spout that crap about the water rotation. People will believe anything. http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

Hear, hear! I don't even like the design of the label.

Like "balancing an egg on end can only be done during the Spring Equinox." A real simple experiment can test this, but apparently they don't teach teachers about the Scientific Method any more.

And the question about fan rotation depends on whether the fan is blowing towards or away from you. The number of lug nuts depends on the kind of vehicle. Etc.
This is the kind of test where knowing too much gets you in trouble.
The real question is why was this test done is such a small font? Any why bother with Flash when standard HTML+Java would work as well and be more browser independent.

Europe. OB woodworking content: the right sides of US merry-go-round horses are more elaborately carved than the left, and the opposite is true in Europe. Kerry
Kerry Montgomery wrote:

I've seen both in the US. One could probably conclude they were imported or designed in Europe.
--

-MIKE-