O/T: Ramblings of a Retired Mind

Page 2 of 4
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I have a cell phone, which is turned on when I'm away from the house. It allows family to contact me if an emergency arises. Beyond that, it's for MY convenience if I need something - roadside assistance, for example. Don't use it hardly at all otherwise, but it's there if I need it. Minimal number of minutes on a plan that no longer is offered but which I am allowed to keep, and low cost.
Matt
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:10:26 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Amen! Since when did people deserve the right to annoy you at all hours of the day, no matter where you were or what you were doing? When I sit down with a client to talk, I ask them to first turn off their cell phone so we weren't interrupted.
I have a phone in my room, but the ringer has been turned off for 35 years now. The office phone (dcom) ringer is turned off, but the ringer in the living room is on. It's less annoying that way but I still hear it. The other office phone (hagh) is turned way down. Ditto the one in the living room.
I've learned not to jump whenever the phone rings, too. About 75% of the time, it's some asshole marketeer or idiot Indian programmer who wants to sell me something. The real calls get returned promptly.
When I see (caller ID) a call come in from an unknown number, I immediately ask if it's a sales call, then proceed to tell them to put my number on their Do Not Call List. I don't sit through their crap at all any more. And when they continue to talk after I have said my short, sweet little spiel, I hang up on them. High pressure people suck and don't deserve a second of my time.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 19:56:26 -0500, the infamous Greg

keep it in the truck and only use it when some idiot client has given me wrong directions to get to their house out in BF Egypt. I got a $15 Tracfone and get the annual update for $89. After 3 years, I still have 600 minutes left of the 800 minutes I got the first year.
AFAIC, cell technology sucks and still, after decades, is NOT ready for Prime Time. I have yet to receive a call from a cell user where I have not had to say "What? I lost you there for a few seconds." or have them c all back after they went in a tunnel and the line was dropped. Not frackin' ONCE have I ever had a decent call! Effit!

Absolutely! Uh, wait a minute...did you say "$100 dinner"? <thud>
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

They've gotten better about eating pre-paid for minutes, never wanted one enough to sign a contract. Girl I work with insists that I need one, especially when on a road trip, which after Citi left me standing on the dark streets of Miami earlier this year trying to buy gas, is tempting.

Well, I started at $50, but thought that sounded too cheap. Not often. Hell, picked up McDonalds for three people last week and it was $25! An $80 bar tab in Key West just about floored me as well. Hanging around with them Sheilas ain't cheap. That's why I'm here. Can't afford to go anywhere anymore. ;-)
Greg G.
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:48:27 -0500, the infamous Greg

I bought the cheap phone and a single year's worth of airtime for $90 or so. It's worth that, when all the 30 minute/month cells around here start at $30/mo, after you buy a phone. Anyway, that works out to under $9/mo for the cell and my minutes roll over so I'm never without. But I still hate the damned finicky things. Feh! If it's not the dead batteries, it's the lack of signal to call out or the lost signals during a conversation. The newer digital phones are even worse. Instead of bad s/n ratios, they have zero connection.

You hang out with the wrong Sheilas. Find one who treats you to meals or one who cooks well. I used to trade off with my last girlfriend. I think I cooked better than she did, but she had the sweetest...(ahem.)
I eat at McDognuts all the time. In the summer. (They have $1 ice cream cones. That's -all- I'd consider eating from those places.) For food, I prefer Taco Bell or the lousy-but-infamous Jack in the Box tacos, but that's only on workdays for lunch IF I forgot to make one.
Nah, if I'm going to spend money, I'll go to a steak joint who actually flame broils their beef. I'll wolf down a large salad, stuff myself on their garlic bread or rolls, and take half my steak home with me for a couple more meals. (steak & eggs + a lunch sammy)
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

You would have to know the area I live in. Severe shortage and any that look worth a s#&$ have 3 kids by 3-ex bubba husbands (and a current), and want money or at least the Peggy Bundy life. New England and CA were a different story. Cook? Are you kidding me? My ex couldn't make Jello.

I don't, and in fact miss the time when I went 20 years without eating at one. But all the places around here suck beyond belief, and it is the lesser of evils. The Taco Bell is dripping with grease. The real Mexican restaurant is OK, but $7 for lunch? The Steak and Shake went down the crapper last year during a management change and now has the worst dishwater chili around. It's a rip. They closed the Wendy's. We don't have salmonella Jacks here, nor Wa Was, nor WhatABurgers. Or Applebees, or Bennigans, or Fridays, or any independents either. It's 12 miles to the nearest pseudo Italian. It's chain burgers and bad BBQ.

I miss the Ponderosa that used to be down the street, and the salad bar with all the trimmings. It shut down, as did the Chinese restaurant. Didn;t hurt that my brother in law managed the place.
I have to drive so far to get decent food I just eat crap at home mostly. (12-20 miles) And I live 10 miles from downtown.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

There's no need for that. You can enjoy better food at home than you can buy in any franchise junk shop - and you can waste less time (and spend less) on it than you would spend driving to and from any place more than a mile away for junk...
I hate to cook and love to eat - and on consulting stints usually ended up in an apartment and discovered with a little help (actually a _lot_ of help) from co-workers that I could eat really well on the cheap and not need to spend more than about ten minutes on preparation. I'll be glad to share a couple of favorites if you don't mind a couple of non-spam (pun intended) e-mails.
I'm seeing an opportunity to get even for the software you sent. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

So share already.<G>
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

In the best of woodworking traditions, tools are required. In this case a crock pot that will cook for a pre-set time and then go into "keep-warm" mode. I bought mine at Wal-Mart in Newton, Iowa for (IIRC) about US$25. It was money well spent.
This recipe was a group response from the guys in the Maytag R&D Software Group. Do NOT attempt to make this when you will be home all day! If you do, it'll make you crazy - but it's great to come home to.
Before you go to work...
Into a crock pot (in this order):
A half cup of water. A good (heaping) handful of small (washed) potatoes. A small cut up onion. One smashed garlic clove. A couple or three cut-up carrots. A couple or three cut up celery stalks. A 3 - 5 pound chuck roast. Light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Put the lid on the crock pot, turn it on to cook for five hours and go to work.
Prep time should be between five an ten minutes. Wash hands before and after prep to keep healthy and not smell like onions/garlic all day.
After the first time, adjust the recipe to suit your own likes. It's actually pretty difficult to screw up.
A five pound pot roast won't last as long as you might think. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Don't mean to hijack your recipe, but let me "Cajunize" it a just bit, cher:
Add fresh sliced mushrooms and one chopped bell pepper to the mix, make slits in the raw roast with a paring knife and insert a few peeled garlic cloves, and replace the water with red wine. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman said:

Not sure how Cajun that is, no rue or crayfish? :) But sounds good. I have bell peppers growing outside alongside some unknown Scovel Latin American red peppers. One of the last things still growing.
Seems like an ongoing stone soup recipe.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

It's a Cajun touch alright, cher. I touched it, and I are one.
.... and that's "roux" to you! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Greg G. wrote:

It's a Cajun touch alright, cher. I touched it, and I are one.
.... and that's "roux" to you! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman said:

I believe ya; prolly stole it from the Poms, though. :)

Yea, I caught that - too late. My French/Cajun sucks. Rue /is/ an aromatic medicinal herb, however; and less fattening. :-o (Though about the same as red-eye gravy slathered over ham in Dixie.)
Greg G.
You mean roux, not rue... rue is one of the bitter herbs from the bible and tastes HORRIBLE.
Good for keeping cats out of gardens, though.
Dave Balderstone said:

Yeah, yeah. I caught that, and and course, so did Swingman. Reminds me of Justin Wilson on PBS. I gar-on-tee!

Does it work for rabbits? Cute little bastards...
Greg G.

My neighbours asked my daughter to "feed the rabbit" while they were away to Florida last week. It seems that their little girl has been taking good care of that rabbit. Farking thing lives in a cage originally designed for a family of Irish wolfhounds. I looked and thought..."how cute that the little wabbit is hiding behind the big black bean-bag chair in that there walk-in cage." It *is* the bean-bag chair.... I never knew those things got to be that huge. Oh... and those cute 'wabbit' poop-pellets?....GOLF balls!
Robatoy said:

There are varieties that get awfully big. A friend in NJ is a bunny aficionado. When she posted a picture of a huge Labrador-sized rabbit, my comment was that it would feed a family of 4 (poorly) for a week.
A month ago some prankster dumped their kid's pet white rabbit in the garden. It was helping itself to the carrots when found and it stayed inside (caged) for a few weeks while the owner was sought. Cute but the dumbest animal ever born. Ended up in a rabbit stew.. err... farm.
Greg G.

I like rabbits, they taste just like cats.
Luigi in Portland
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Be careful in Asia when you see "rabbit", in English, on a restaurant menu!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08