O/T: Pirate Rifles

Page 1 of 5
RE: Subject
Heard on ABC news that the Navy Seals used "Gyro Stabalized" rifles to take out the pirates.
Having taken a few shots from a pitching boat, makes sense.
Somebody said:

Makes sense.
Anybody have any straight skinny?
Lew

Well that makes sense. I was talking with my son and pointing out that the ship was moving AND the target was moving. Reminds me of my physics class in college and working the formula to determine when to shoot the big guns on the destroyers.

How about those bullshiatters at CNN, eh? Read the last paragraph of this CNN article:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/18/pirates.foiled/index.html
"Last week at assault by pirates on a U.S.-flagged ship, the Maersk Alabama ended when U.S. Navy sharshoopers [sic] stormed the vessel and shot and killed three of the pirates who were holding the ship's captain captive."
Although technically not a lie, it is also nowhere near what really happened. Those CNN bastards do that kinda stuff ALL the time.

You'd need gyro stabilized pirates too then?

You'd need gyro stabilized pirates too then?
======At the end of the 80' tow rope? I think I could do that with a target pistol, sitting on a gyro stabilized gun mount. Gyro stabilized sniper rifles my shaven behind.
Hell, John Wayne could have done it from a rowing boat with a Remington in each hand.
Blindfold in his good eye.
While sitting on a bucking horse.
And drinking corn likker put of a big jug.
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:47:15 +0100, Bored Borg

"Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!"
Regards,
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:40:31 -0500, "MikeWhy"

Y'all must be one hell of a better pistol shot than me.
I don't think I can hit anything at 80' with my 1911.
And that's with me on a rest and what I'm shooting at standing still.
Remember what that old boy said, "A pistol is a weapon used to fight your way back to your rifle."
Regards,

said, there are some folk who are just deadly accurate with a 1911. I am not one of them. But my little sister (six years younger) is. And she is much smaller than me too!
Remember that guy in Vietnam who was a crack pistol shot.? He crashed in a helicopter and held off a whole bunch of the enemy with just his 1911. Almost got the medal of honor for it too. He fired and the others reloaded his magazines for him. Obviously not a typical shot. I believe he was a nationally ranked champion.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:57:15 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

What I admired about the shooting was that three guys shot at essentially the same time and all took out the targets.
I don't know what tech stuff they used but that's like three guys shooting buzzer shots at the final game and having them all go in.
Oh, and by the way, a guy's life was on the line.
I have enough of a hard time shooting at paper with an MOA CZ451 on a windless day at fifty yards. I get a sight picture that looks like I'm on a moving boat but I'm standing still - and so is the paper.
My hat's off to those boys.
Regards,

CZ451 is .22LR. Fifty yards is a long distance for such a rifle and your results depend on the ammo you shoot. For 50 yards you _MUST_ use either subsonic or high velocity ammo to hit anything reliably. Standard velocity bullet gets subsonic at something like 30 yards so it is only good for 25 yards. You won't get a MOA precision even if you shoot from a vise.
Hands trembling is a separate issue. I met a guy at my range, a former sniper, that reliably (9 out of 10) hits a 8x12" gong at 200 yards with his 100 yr. old bolt action rifle from standing position using only iron sights.
* KSI@home KOI8 Net < > The impossible we do immediately. *
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:57:15 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

I never heard that story - but I'd like to.
Regards,

It has been awhile since I read about it. I will try to track it down. From my sometimes foggy memory, here is a few details.
It seemed that he had some kind of tricked out .45. Since he was a target shooter, that made sense. And since it fit a standard holster, he could carry it. He had some extra boxes of ammo with him at the time. The chopper crashed, There were no other weapons on board that were functional. So he started shooting his .45. And since he was such a crack shot, his shooting was deadly accurate.
I think that they tried to take the chopper for almost an hour before retreating due to heavy losses. They were later rescued. He did all the shooting. The others reloaded his magazines. Here is an example of somebody who spent countless hours punching holes in paper and had the necessary skills to save himself in a real life encounter with those skills.
Maybe the folks at rec.guns will remember some more details.
Here's something that I found:
Here's an incident that few have ever heard of, but probably in respect to accuracy during combat, equals that of the fabled snipers cited.
A chopper returning from a Navy SEAL Team mission over North Vietnam was hit, killing the pilot and a crew member, and wounding the co-pilot. Going into autorotation, the co-pilot managed to set the chopper down in a clearing where it was met by several rounds of enemy fire. With the M60s damaged beyond utility during the initial RPG hit and crash landing, and the only M16 thrown clear on the way down, the only firearms left were M1911s.
The remaining crew member, Petty Officer Robert J. Thomas, was carrying a match-tuned M1911A1 and several boxes of ammo. As the enemy small arms fire increased, the co-pilot and Petty Officer Thomas observed that the VC were coming out of the jungle and approaching the downed chopper, firing as they came. The crew member took out his Government Model and took careful aim at each attacking Viet Cong.
About 30 minutes later it was all over. Between reloading magazines and radioing for an evacuation, the co-pilot was pretty busy, but a rescue chopper finally arrived on the scene.
As the rescue crew landed, they noticed a sizable number of dead VC surrounding the crash site. As the downed helo's remaining crew were exfiltrated, they counted the dead VC, 37 in all. Their distances from the downed helo were from three yards to about 150 yards, and all had been shot by Petty Officer Thomas with his M1911 .45 ACP who had fired an estimated 80 rounds in total.
Petty Officer Thomas, a member of the USN Rifle and Pistol Team, was recommended for the Congressional Medal of Honor, but by the time the recommendation made its way up the ladder, the recognition was reduced to the Navy Cross. (Not to denigrate that award my Dad had one from Korea but to show the politics of medals.)
This incident has been cited as the only known of example of top-level combat marksmanship since Sergeant Alvin York's celebrated escapades in the battle of Meuse River-Argonne Forest during World War I.
http://www.eotacforum.com/viewtopic.php?t@887
Hell of a story.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:05:27 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

Good work Tom. I wasn't able to find the story. Your search skills must be better than mine.

I was very careful to write "target pistol".
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:12:07 -0500, "MikeWhy"

Well, I'm shooting a tuned up Series 80 with a pull of right around 3.8 lbs and it shoots nice and straight when I clamp it up.
Some folks might consider it to be a target pistol.
Depending on the target.
And the hand that holds it.
Regards,

Muzzle loaders, too I suppose. Good F***** Lord.
On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:18:00 -0500, "MikeWhy"

Bubba, you don't make a whole lot of sense.
That is your right, of course.
Regards,

It must be just me. Seems the whole world has gone dense between the ears the past couple of days. Beats me how you think I meant shooting a custom offhand in a 25m event. By all means, though, bring what you got. Any other time, maybe, I would chat you up about the Colt, but for right now, just put it back in its case so the sun doesn't shine on it.