O/T: Ken Burns

The man has done it again.
His series of documentary films on the Nat'l Park system are currently running on PBS.
If you get a chance, it is some very interesting stuff IMHO.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've been watching. Makes me want to get in the car and go.
"Steve Turner" wrote:

Yep.
Lew

We just returned from: Santa Fe Colorado Springs & Pikes Peak Estes Park & Rocky Mtn. NP Yellowstone NP Grand Teton NP Jackson Hole Flaming Gorge Colorado National Monument Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP Gunnison, Lake City, Creede, South Fork & Pagosa Springs, CO
Had a great time.
Some pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/contrarian32/Traveling08090902 #
http://picasaweb.google.com/contrarian32/Traveling2080909 #
http://picasaweb.google.com/contrarian32/Traveling30909 #
Max
Max wrote:

I hate you. :-)

Neener, Neener.
Max
Burns did a nice 60 min. documentary on the Shakers. A lot of libraries will have copies.
It's called "The Shakers: Hands to Work, Hearts to God."

Salt & pepper?
Max (I just had to do that)

Yeah, and the Quakers attend the Church of San Andreas.
--- Joe (I just had to do that too.)

DVR'ing every one of them.
Dave in Houston

I agree whole heartedly. It is TV worth watching. Burns seems to be able to focus on the subject and pass along interesting information while entertaining.
Joe G
Yeah, it's been pretty good stuff with only minimal political subtext. However, I think Ken's template created with the Civil War series is wearing a bit thin. Let's see, slow violin music, a voice over of a gravely voiced or properly accented speaker, panning over a black and white photo and all the time, everything is grandeous.
If you think the series is nice you would have loved the 5 days I spent backpacking in the Yosemite backlands a few weeks ago. I had made the 18 mile round trip one day hike up Half Dome from the valley floor back earlier in July. However, when I returned on this latest trip (I make several a year) and on day 4 we summited Clouds Rest, 1,000+ feet higher than Half Dome and looking down on it from just a few miles away, it was a great place to have lunch with a 360 degree view.
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/1.jpg See Half Dome in background
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/Graphics/2.jpg Top of Clouds Rest [Not my pics, just found them on the web]