How to make quarter rounds and to make a diagonal cut with common tools?

Hi,

I have 3"x3" lumber and I would like to do one of two things:

  1. Make a 3" quarter round, or
  2. Make a "diagonal" cut so that the lumber has a triangular 3"x3"x profile.

I have a table saw and a band saw.

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

If the table of your bandsaw can be tilted 45 degrees from the horizontal, cutting the triangular profile is trivial.

Cutting a quarter-round profile cannot be done in a single operation, but you can get there with a series of steps, using the bandsaw. Draw the profile you want on the end of the board, then make straight cuts at various tilt angles to approximate that profile. Finally, smooth it with hand tools such as a plane, spokeshave, drawknife, or file (or a combination of those).

There is no safe way to do this on the table saw.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Get a 3" piece of PVC and cut it in half lenghwise. Duct tape it to your stock.

Feed the whole shebang through your table saw with the PVC against the fence. Rotate the stock slightly and do it again. And again. etc.

Ultimately you'll have a 3" half-round. Cut in half.

I have no idea whether this will work.

Reply to
HeyBub

Are you making some large 'trim' and don't need a specific profile? Because you can make 3" cove molding OK, but not quarter round. Look up the methods for making a cove cut with a table saw, basically you run the stock over the blade at an angle. You could cove each side of the 3x3 stock then quarter it on the bandsaw. I've done it on my radial arm saw and it works quite nicely.

Reply to
DT

A. Use a router and 1 1/2" radius router bit, $114.71 here...

Cut into octogan, quarter it, plane/spokeshave/sand to round

C. Use a lathe _________________

A. Tilt bandsaw table

B. (better IMO) Make an auxiliary table with a cradle of two pieces mounted at 90 degrees to each other and 45 degrees to the table, use on either bandsaw or table saw. On table saw, cut in two passes; i.e., depth at 1

1/2" or less, cut once, flip vertically, cut again.
Reply to
dadiOH

"HeyBub" wrote in news:0K- dneC8FuoXjlnXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

It will work quite well if you are hoping to make a visit to the emergency room with a PVC/wood stake through your liver.

Yet, again, your screamingly obvious absence of good sense or experience fails to prevent you from posting.

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

quarter-round.

That isn't going to make a 3" quarter-round either.

Neither will that.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Heh! I bet you've never made a circular cut out on a table saw.

And I have a great deal of common sense; I figured out, on my own, that one should not drink the pickle juice until all the pickles are gone. This prevents being hit in the eye by a pickle. (Except for pickle slices of course. No hazard there.)

Bet you didn't know that!

Reply to
HeyBub

Let me see...if I use a 3/8" radius quarter round bit on a piece of wood 3/4 x 3/4 I wind up with a nice piece of 3/4 quarter round. Seems to me that a

1 1/2" radius bit appled to a piece of 3x3 would yield a 3" quarter round. No? ___________

Whoops, see below... ______________

Will too. He just has to glue up four pieces of 3x3 before turning :)

Reply to
dadiOH

No, you don't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Triangular cut - flop TS to 45, cut through one corner about 1/4" less than halfway through (assuming normal size TS), insert tight-fitting shim into saw kerf and tape across kerf in several places to hold pieces together for safety while you complete the cut, flip stock over and cut from opposite corner, again just short of halfway, complete cut with a handsaw and cleanup with a hand plane.

Quarter round - mark desired profile on end grain of stock, make a cut with the saw blade height just shy of the drawn profile mark (marked curve is facing concave side up), move fence ~1/4" and adjust blade height to just short of the line, make cut, repeat process. The trick is to make the repeated cuts on two sides and try to leave the largest square possible in the area to be wasted. Use the shim/tape to stabilize the kerf(s) as necessary for safety. There are variations on this technique, and safety is paramount, so plan out your cuts before you have an unexpected one.

RicodJour

Criminy -- he said he has a band saw. With a band saw available, why would you even consider doing this on a table saw instead?

See above.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Right. I'm going to stop reading groups early in the AM.

Reply to
dadiOH

I have/had a long stored away moulding head for a tablesaw that would have cut the quarter rounds that he's looking for. But, it's a scary tool and not what I'd use if something else was available like a band saw to slice away most of the corners of a quarter round.

Reply to
Upscale

Heh - this is getting pretty messy. :)

A while back I needed four 3" radius corner pieces and I routed 'em from a 2x4, which gave me a nice quarter round without the 90° corner.

I used a 1" round nose bit and took a photo about halfway through the process. I just uploaded it to

(It's a sizable file, so you may want to skip if you have a dial-up connection) so you can see the chips flying.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Someone had already mentioned how to do the 45 with a bandsaw. Why would I want to chime in with a "me, too!"?

See above what? You left out the best part - where you said, "There is no safe way to do this on the table saw." - referring to cutting the quarter round. If you see above I described one safe way to do it. There are others.

I would not choose which tools and method to use until I knew what the lumber was and what the machines were like. I'm not assuming the OP has a Unisaw or a Laguna bandsaw - he could have Craftsman hobbyist machines. You are allowed to assume anything you'd like. That's only fair.

RicodJour

Last time I needed a 3" quarter round for a mold, got a plywood quarter round from Anderson International here in town.

They are on the web.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That works too, but I'm willing to bet they charged more than the 22¢/ft I paid Menards. ;)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

You lose that one.

It was from the reject pile and considered a donation to the boat building project.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You seem to have a rather loose definition of 'safe'.

Reply to
Doug Miller