O/T: IRS Rebate Check

Page 2 of 5

Sorry if I gave you that impression.
http://improve-usenet.org /
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:56:05 -0600, Dave Balderstone

No problem!
According to brother in law who designs pipe line to move crude oil. Only about 10% of US oil comes from Mid East, 60% come from Canada, the rest coming from North/South/Central America (exculding Canada) and Africa.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:13:46 -0500, "sweet sawdust"

Has your BIL read the DOE website? <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

Question? Hope I'm asking the original poster. When coming through Utah last summer on vacation with the kids. Stopped near a town, Vernal I think the name was, but it was near Dinosaur National Park on the Utah/Colo. boarder. Anyway this town was completely employed by oil companies building this oil pipeline from Canada to I think Texas. It's funny cause I had never really heard much about it from that point or since. You'd think it would be all over the news because of the environmental impact on the Southwest. Anyway does your brother in law know about this pipeline?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I'm sure he knows about it, but how much would be the question. He keeps up with most of the pipelines being built to one degree or another and has somepart in the design of a lot of them, mostly overseas but some in the US. Works out of Alaska and did design work on the Alaskan pipeline back when it was being built.Thats were he got his start.
Curran Copeland wrote:

I see, well thanks for the info. I was just curious why I'd not heard about it before I traveled through that small town in Utah. Seems like it would have been a news story.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Probably not. He is an engineer and knows about everything and is willing to tell you. Does a lot of work out of country mostly Russia.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:23:30 -0500, "Curran Copeland"

Take a look:
<http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm>
January shows ~19% from Canada.

Glad to help out... what are friends for?
B A R R Y wrote:

Looking at that web site:
Total imports in 2007: 3,656,170 From Persian Gulf countries: 774,799 which is about 21% From Canada: 680,533 which is about 19% From Mexico: 514,480 which is about 14% From other South American 658,011 which is about 18%
So, it is true that only 21% of US oil comes from Persian Gulf countries (which most people would associate as Middle-East countries) and 51% is coming from Canada, Mexico, and other South American countries.

Thanks for that link, Doug. Interesting figures.
Even more interesting as your Democratic Part candidates fall over themselves to talk about renegotiating NAFTS, innit?
They may want to read the agreement and see what it says about energy...
http://improve-usenet.org /

NAFTA says nothing about tying the pump price of gasoline to the price south of the border.
It DOES say that Canada can't apply restrictions on our exports to the US that are more onerous than we apply on our domestic supplies.
THAT's the hammer we would have in any renegotiation of NAFTA.
Remove that clause, and we would have right to turn off the pipelines to protect domestic supply. Under the current agreement, that's not possible.
http://improve-usenet.org /

Here in Saskatoon, to tie any price to the "nearest US city" would be insanity, and I'm sure the media would be full of it.
Methinks you're misremembering. If you do find out what that agreement is, though, please let me know.
http://improve-usenet.org /
FrozenNorth wrote:

Hey don't blame them, blame the US Gov. for doing nothing and allowing our dollar to become worth almost nothing. The only one benefiting are the products that still are made in this country. Which are few and far between.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Par with the Canadian dollar is *nothing*?
http://improve-usenet.org /

Dave, Do Canadians have to jump the same hurdles as we do in the US? I understand controls and the need for them, but they can become unreasonable. Hank

Senators Clinton and Obama only said they were going to renegotiate NAFTA. I know Senator Obama's people have reassured Canada that he was only fooling and I suspect Senator Clinton's people did the same.
Hank wrote:

... snip

I think the words were more along the lines of "saying what was politically expedient to the sheep to whom they were trolling for votes". A little bit more diabolical than simply "only fooling".