Norwegian Woodworkers?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:09:24 GMT, "Inger E Johansson"

A friend of mine is thinking of buying a flat in Oslo.
Cheaper than England these days !

No definitely not. A relative of mine had to move home to Sweden when he and his fiance broke up. A flat in Oslo cost much more than any of all my friends in England, outside London's best districts, every have seen when looking around for flats.
I am sure that your friend either must have a lot of money or very good connections and I am also sure that he doesn't have the full picture of what it will cost him to get a flat with all it takes over a year or two. Most flats are owned by the person who lives in the flat. Your friend will not find it easy to find a rental flat if he doesn't have very good connection. The prices for a flat you buy aren't anything but very very expensive. Maybe your friend thinks of secondhand-rental of a flat or as most young ones moving to Oslo from abroad do - sharing a flat with 3-4 other persons.
Inger E

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:47:54 GMT, "Inger E Johansson"

Lessee... 100 crowns an hour. 6 hour day. 5 days a week. 12000 a month. 8000 of that to rent, electricity, phone etc. leaves 130 a day to live on. That's pretty thight in the capital (i speak from experience; as full time student, I've lived on half that), but I'm told rents plummet once you move out in the bush.
100 crowns buys you five cups of fancy coffee. Or a cheap pocket radio. Or a paperback. Two soups de jour. Two thirds of a standard cell phone card. A 5-pack of underwear. five loaves of good bread or twenty cheap ones. Three to four tins of spaghetti a la capri. One third of a preserved sheep's leg. Ten nationwide tabloid papers, or four intellectual sleep pill papers.
Oh, but I forgot taxes. They'll take anything from 5 to 30 of those crowns, depending on strange and eldritch laws which men were not meant to figure out...

Register as a student. Cheap rental flats. Or stay at a hostel while you familiarize yourself with the city and search for a good offer. Beware of rot. A lot of old apartments. Lots of woodwork, plasterwork, antique piping and wiring. Prices don't fall as you move toward the periphery, but square meters per apartment do. Never, ever move into a one room, unless you plan to embark on the thorny way of the Urban Hermit.
Proving again that... Norway Rocks!
Mark

proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

I have to say this. The only connection I can see between wood and rock is Wood Stock?

I have a rock problem where I am. Could you describe the correct herring drying techniques. At present I use very expensive steel alloys, which become blunt very fast.

You're right! I tried it this afternoon. I do not feel at all hungry. I have never felt less like eating in my life actually!
Mind you, I could go a dried herring.

This sounds almost Yorkshire! "Blooody looxury" stuff! Sled! Sled? Bludy luxury. In my day we _cursed_ the snow, because we _carried_ the rocks!
calmly ranted:

I know about it, too, but I can be bought instantly! My silence will cost you mere pennies in comparison: one Stefan Ronnqvist Viking axe (sorry, it's Svedish). Got my address?
Once I receive it (and if Ray is close enough to me) I'll ask him for his silence as well...as I show him the axe.
Deal?
----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development