No more Jet tools for me

LOL.. That reminds me of the infomercial with Dan Ackroid on SNL. He answers the age old question of how they could afford to sell the BassOMatic below cost. The answer, High VOLUME Sales.
Leon wrote:

And we all know how well that worked out. Have any of you tried to pick up a replacement Bassomatic? Mine died two years ago when my daughter mistakenly tried to puree a salmon. Bad move...
All this business planning and cost accounting is enough to make a Wharton graduate's head spin.
The crux of the problem and Jamie's problem is that if the customer PERCEIVES that they are being hosed, they will take their business elsewhere. Perception is, in the real world, reality.
Yeah, they could toss that belt in a USPS Priority mail pack and send it off to Jamie and if they'd charged him $6.50 shipping AND HANDLING, they likely would not have heard a peep. However, to be so inflexible and demand $20 for something that small is their downfall. Jeez, what would they have done if he'd needed, gasp!, a shear pin or a washer?
Common sense isn't!

It works in the other direction too. If I call up a company and say I need a new left-handed frobnitz, and the person I talk to on the phone says, "Aw heck, that's not worth the paperwork to bill you for, just give me your address and I'll send you one, no charge", they've just earned a customer for life.
There's a couple of sayings:
1) It's a lot harder to get a new customer than to keep an existing one happy.
2) It's a lot harder to get a old customer that you've pissed off once to come back again than it is to get a new one.
Roy Smith wrote:

Exactly!
John Deere (and every other manufacturer) gets an hefty over the counter price for the shear pins used on their snow throwers. Something like $2.95 each. Needed a couple, including spares, and went to the dealership I'd bought it from (to the tune of $1,600) and they whacked me full price. Oh well.
Two years ago I needed more and happened to be in the next county over when I remembered I wanted to pick up some more as spares with winter coming on. Guy at the counter quoted me the same price but when he came out of the back, said "I know you said two but these damn things always go out at the worst times. There's six in the bag. That'll be $3.14 total."
Guess where my next parts, service and equipment purchase will be made.

The service department at the dealer where I had purchased my last pickup truck had earned my disdain in a couple of ways, but the daytime running lamps, which needed frequent replacement, were no longer available from the aftermarket parts house. When I stopped by the dealer, reluctantly, to buy some, the parts guy pulled up my computer record, went to the back, and came back with a double handful of the replacement bulbs. Didn't want to bother with any paperwork. I just _may_ buy another truck there some day.
Patriarch

Two stories:
I was trying to get my new digital TV setup with an outdoor antenna. This turned out to be hard. I think I'm in some kind of signal hole. Anyway, I bought a Winegard amplifier and was having trouble getting power to it. I contacted Winegard support via email and got a prompt, intelligent reply. The reply included a recommendation for a power regulated diplexer. I searched the net looking for one and couldn't find it. I sent another email to support asking where I could get one. The prompt reply was "I'll send you one". No charge. I like Winegard.
I've posted here before about my Jet 18" bandsaw lacking power that I bought in 1999. It turns out they had installed a 1/2 HP motor instead of the 1 1/2 HP motor that is spec'ed. A call to Jet customer service got a reply to the effect of "You've got 90 days to discover that sort of problem". I asked to speak to a supervisor and got the same result. I wrote a nice letter to the president of WMH Tool Group, which owns Jet. I got a prompt email from his admin saying that it had been referred to the head of the Jet division. I got a phone call and email from him saying a new motor was on the way. No charge. The bandsaw runs great. I like Jet.
-- Doug
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 17:39:16 GMT, Douglas Johnson

You had to go all the way to the president of Jets parent company to get a fix for a manufacturing error and you see no problem with that. You're too easy.
MikeK wrote:

My reading is he waited from '99 to sometime fairly recently to make them aware of the problem and they still fixed it up at no charge...that sounds pretty good to me, as well...
On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:40:17 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Ok, IF that's the case, I'd give them a thumbs up also.
MikeK wrote:

I stated explicitly it was past the 90 days, anyway, which seems like that would be plenty of time to have found/identified/complained initially...I'm inferring the other, granted from the way in which it was written.

That's what happened. I had wondered about a lack of power on resawing, even posting some questions here. I had seen the 1/2 HP rating on the motor, but thought it was probably a mis-print. Then I saw the amperage rating and a light went on. I did notify them as soon as I realized there was a manufacturing problem. -- Doug

Keep in mind also that Jet does not as a rule sell direct.. They prefer you to order from the dealer. If there is no close dealer to service the tool then this would be more of a courtesy convenience to sell to him directly. The dealer can place a stock order that will have much a smaller freight charge if any due to the volume.

Jet tool I own ( My Tablesaw) was ordered direct from them in 1989 or 90... AT the time I had never seen any Jet equiptment in any of the local dealers that I visited...
Bob Griffiths

I'm not sure when that all came about. More than 9 years ago though. My local Jet dealer went in to business about 9 years ago and the big stuff was strictly Jet. IIRC the Jet web site indicates that you cannot buy equipment direct and that you should contact a local dealer.

Woodcraft, Amazon, Coastal Tools all carry Jet. I'm sure others do also.

Was Amazon even in business 15 years ago...?
When I want to get up close and personal with a machine I do make the 1 1/2 drive to Visit my "local" Woodcraft... But that is now ..Then was in the late 80's...
BTW...Major reason for this reply was not to comment on your reply to my question.....but was to let you know that I normally will read your comments in ANY Newsgroup... and I can not say that about many individuals..
Bob Griffiths
Greg O wrote:

So? If they get $10 an hour (wages, benefits, etc.), it cost the company $10, not $20. I worked where the estimated cost of letter was calculated as $10, and processing a check (for jury duty) cost the company way more than the check was worth.
Every one of those orders costs extra, right? Nope, only for the most efficient business with exactly the right number of employees. That doesn't happen often. In many case, it doesn't cost the company anything because the employees would be sitting on the butts doing nothing, maybe even doing something that cost the company a lot.
The only way to know how much it costs to process orders is to divide the total cost by the total number of orders. Does that mean that if the cost averages $10 than another order would cost $10? Probably not. It might just mean that the average cost of the processing order just dropped slightly when you average that next order in. There is no strict answer as it depends on the company operation.
It doesn't really matter. If a company is just breaking even on mailing and handling costs, and it costs $20 for a simple product always (or should be always) in stock, then the company is doing something wrong.

A $10 per hour employee does not cost the company $10 per hour, probably closer to $15, maybe more. You also forgot the cost of everything else, cost of the warehouse, heat, lights, insurance.... It all goes into the cost of doing business. Greg
Greg O wrote:

Want to try again. I quote from my message "....$10 an hour (wages, benefits, etc.)"
Doesn't make any difference? the cost of another letter, another order, another anything often is nothing because the employee(s) is often underutilized. In fact, they may only be doing 50% of full utilization, especially if business is somewhat cyclical.

Missed that! But then no one at that company was getting less than $10 per hour, plus benny's. Greg