No more Jet tools for me

They smell better?

Reply to
George

Old pantyhose have character and a nice patina.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Profits are caused by selling at a higher amount than your costs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Maybe so with old pantyhose, but toothbrushes?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

$50.. Good lord. How much does the company figure it cost them when an employee goes to take a dump? Or do they have to use the restroom on their own time or break time?

Reply to
O D

I bill shop help at $50 an hour. How much does it cost to take a dump? At five minutes per day, that is 20 hours per year or a half a week's vacation time. How much does it cost to smoke? If you have one smoke an hour at 5 minutes, that is 40 minutes per day. 166 hour per year. Not a bad vacation.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The boys with the calculators probably know!

That was the preferred method!! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Amen. But the "lose a little on each sale, and make it up in volume" myth is *very* appealing to some.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

We just "laid off" a guy at our shop for that reason. He could not work with out a cigarette burning. As there is no smoking allow inside businesses in our city, (city ordinance), he had to go outside. Tough to get any work done when you are a chain smoker! 5 minute breaks every 10 minutes are pretty unproductive! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

There's a big difference between smoking (a choice) and dropping the kids off at the pool (a necessity). I guess if one has the hershey squirts their in real trouble. John

Reply to
John DeBoo

=================== LOL.... As a retired retailer....you can sometimes MAKE money by not selling something...

Why should the sell, pick,invoice,pack and ship an item.... if they loose money.... I got a feeling they had better institute some cost controls...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

====================== Start a business and you will see... LOL Even the ground that the building sits on costs a company....

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Just last week I replaced the wiper blades on my wives van (I very rarely drive it)...and yesterday she walked in to my shop and exciteltly..and very proud of herself .. told me she just had NEW blades installed...

I kept my mouth shut...

BUT I did wonder why the kid who actually replaced the blades did not notice they were brand new..never used ...never even saw any rain... rubber was still shinny... lol

Bob G

Reply to
Bob G.

You put all your wives in one van?!

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

This is why you need a good machinery dealer. Skarie in Baltimroe has shielded me on more than one occassion from a manufacturer (including Jet - burned up a motor under warranty). Mark

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Guess you missed my point although it was not really clear. But maybe the mfg should send spare parts that wear out. They know the belt will wear so why not ust price the machine with spares? Nooooo they have to piss off the customer like this. Went to a chevron sa station 3 mos ago got $38 in gas then pulled over to put some air in a tire. The machine said ..50 went inside and asked and lady said yes everyone pays . Said just bought gas. Still have to pay. Said thanks but this is the last time chevron goes in my truck. Went to another station got free air. Have not put air n my tires in over 30 yrs. Should be a cost of doing business or have a code a cust can punch in like they do with the car wash. Hell no we need the .50 . Now don't go tell me that the free air for one veh will be cost prohibited. After they buy gas. People don't use air every time they fill up. But you can get a coffee inside and help yourself to all the mustard relish ketchup straws napkins etc. Now where is the logic. They have a build in system to piss off the customer. Add a few buck send along an extra belt and forget it. Better yet, what would robin Lee do?

Reply to
O D

So? If they get $10 an hour (wages, benefits, etc.), it cost the company $10, not $20. I worked where the estimated cost of letter was calculated as $10, and processing a check (for jury duty) cost the company way more than the check was worth.

Every one of those orders costs extra, right? Nope, only for the most efficient business with exactly the right number of employees. That doesn't happen often. In many case, it doesn't cost the company anything because the employees would be sitting on the butts doing nothing, maybe even doing something that cost the company a lot.

The only way to know how much it costs to process orders is to divide the total cost by the total number of orders. Does that mean that if the cost averages $10 than another order would cost $10? Probably not. It might just mean that the average cost of the processing order just dropped slightly when you average that next order in. There is no strict answer as it depends on the company operation.

It doesn't really matter. If a company is just breaking even on mailing and handling costs, and it costs $20 for a simple product always (or should be always) in stock, then the company is doing something wrong.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Ah, lack of communication! OTOH, "wives van?" Exactly how many wives do you have?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

A $10 per hour employee does not cost the company $10 per hour, probably closer to $15, maybe more. You also forgot the cost of everything else, cost of the warehouse, heat, lights, insurance.... It all goes into the cost of doing business. Greg

Reply to
Greg O