New Tool

"Hard a copy"?

Did the tech girls know what you were talking about? Did they re-write it? Did they send it off to a lay person to check for comprehension?

Reply to
HeyBub

Does it, um, stick to, er, flesh?

Just asking out of curiosity, of course.

Reply to
HeyBub

There's one in every crowd. :-(

Reply to
Max

Same here.

Reply to
CW

It did say on the site that you need to be careful not to stretch it.

Reply to
CW

My wife made a similar remark when I showed this to her. She said it could be packaged into a "truth kit" for women to document actual size as opposed to men's exaggerated sense of length and girth. She assured me there would be a market for such an item.

I told her that very few men would submit to such a ?truth kit?. And not just fear of the actual measurement either. Most men have a healthy fear of adhesives in that particular area of their anatomy.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

There's always one Red Tape guy in the crowd..........................;-)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

My woodworking experience moves me to do my best to select the proper tool for the proper application. I don't think a direct replacement of hard measuring devices (rulers, metal tape) is practical for all applications. However, For curves, corners or very long lengths (plywood, for example), I think it excels. In a plywood application this would reduce tearout while providing a very true straight line with very little set up. Also, there are instances where you need to change your measurements/marks. You would never need to change using this tape. It can also serve as a very inexpensive alternative to starrett permanent tapes for jigs. It is just as accurate at a significantly lower cost. Someone else mentioned how this might aid layout for a series of holes. As it includes both perpendicular and parallel lines it can be used for all types of quick layouts. Wrapping it once around a board will tell you if you have true 90 degree angles because it's length should equal the sum of the sides if you are- unless you're cutting a nice trapezoid.

These are some uses, I'm sure there are others I haven't considered, but I'm not trying to suggest this will replace certain tools. Its purpose is to fill a gap I found while woodworking.

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

"I wonder if they stretch during handling and installation? I can see a false sense of accuracy and security if they do... looked at the web site but didn't notice anything about that characteristic. Could have over looked it though. "

They handle as well as metal tapes and, just like metal tapes, they can give inaccurate results if used improperly (i.e. spooling from the bumper of a Corvette traveling at 60MPH is very likely to stretch it out.)

In my tests it has taken quite a bit of force to stretch them to a point where they will not return to their original shape so the answer is "no", they will not be stretched out of shape during normal handling and installation. The best way to apply is with a standard packaging tape dispenser, pressing the tape downward to the surface as the tape is unrolled. I do give proper application recommendations on the 'tape tips' page.

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

Thanks for asking. Funny you might ask. I had this idea that it might work as a means to take one's own measurements for tailoring, which it could. To demonstrate I wrapped a piece around my wife's wrist and it made her look like a sausage. It stuck quite well. In retrospect I wouldn't suggest using it to take your own measurements because it's very difficult to align on oneself properly.

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

There is a theory that that's the reason women are such a poor judge of distance. They've been told all their life that this (holding thumb and forefinger moderately apart) is six inches!

The corollary to that is the wisdom imparted by my dear, departed, grandfather: "Never date a woman with big hands; they make you dick look small."

Reply to
HeyBub

Who the hell cares about the size of a woman's WRIST? Couldn't you find something more interesting to report on?

Reply to
HeyBub

I feel like Dean Martin after he has just set up a joke. Perhaps we should take our act on the road. (long Borat pause...) Not! :-)

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

Dang neaar kicked the slats out of the cradle first time I heard that one.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Upscale" wrote in news:424fd$4a2ce5c5$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

And I believe that nitpicking has a redeeming feature. Spelling and logic errors make a writer look un-professional. Colloquial language (including occasional spelling errors) are fine in newsgroups etc., but a commerical webpage should be as spotless as can be.

Reply to
Han

"Upscale" wrote in news:7aead$4a2ce705$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

Sometimes things are best left unsaid, since they impune both the subject and object. Nitpicking a commercial web page's spelling has value. And it can be done in an upbuilding fashion.

Reply to
Han

That would be a good test for the beginner. One of the things I learned early on as a technical writer was that there were three types of people to write for ~ the beginners, the experienced users and the experts. Each expects information to be disseminated in a certain way.

Reply to
Upscale

Such as the fact that you're a confirmed liar so nothing you say can be taken at face value?

I already know what kind of person I am. I usually speak my mind and sometimes rush to open my big mouth before I've engaged my brain. But, that doesn't happen in your case because when you get caught in an outright lie, it follows you around like the stink of stepping in dog poop. And you my friend, reek of it.

Reply to
Upscale

Hey, you never know, you could be well on your way to being the next multi-millionaire sex shop owner. Mail order, internet sales ~ the world could be yours for the taking.

That wouldn't be so bad would it?

Reply to
Upscale

snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

I agree. Pointing out an error can be constructive. Somebody with the slightest bit of class would have done so behind the scenes in a private e-mail. Miller, however, loves to point out such errors, not to assist, but to gloat about how fantastically bright he was to have discovered the error and in the process trying to elevate himself at the expense of somebody's innocuous error. In other words, it illustrates exactly what Miller is about, a guy who thrives on other peoples mistakes, a parasite.

Reply to
Robatoy