New table saw preperation?

Hi,
I just got my new Unisaw...............nice!!!!! The table has got an oil or grease film on it. What should a person do to clean it off and protect it from rust? The book says to use kerosene to clean and then a paste floor wax to protect it. What is everyone using? Regards. -Guy

it
wax
If you don't have kero, use lamp oil. Wax is good, but I get better results from Top Cote. Ed
What did you get I'm about to change my 25 year old Rockwell/beaver.
For grease removal on my other tools I used naphta fuel. It worked very well, not sure if others will support this btu comments are welcome. For the wax covering this is good idea however there are other alternatives. Bostick makes an aerosol spray for this purpose available from Lee Valley. They also have one for saw blades that is suppose to keep resin build up off. Based on what your book says I would guess that you have a Delta unisaw.
Daniel Martin

Ok, this is probably going to sound very newbe-ish (I have a RAS saw with a melamine top, so I've never encountered this problem personally), but if you put wax on the top, don't you run the risk that the wax will be absorbed by whatever you're cutting, and effect how the wood takes on new stain?
John

oil
protect it

wax

Yes.. if you use a silicon based wax. The general recoomendation is to use a paste wax like johnson's which does not cause these problems.
Secret Squirrel wrote:

I could be wrong here...but I think any wax will affect the penetration of stain -- silicone-free or not.
Silicone-free wax is recommended because the silicone will degrade the adherence of most film finishes...potentially causing it to crack or peel off.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill
Chris Merrill wrote:

If you get wax on the wood, yes, but you shouldn't. I and probably millions of others use paste wax on my table saw. I use it on my hand planes, chisels, drill press table, vise jaws, workbench top, and router table too. I've never had any problem with wax getting in the way of stains or finishes.
Silvan wrote:

I agree...I wax everything, too.
I was just pointing out that any wax will have the same effect on stain penetration.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

oil
protect it

wax
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:04:04 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"

The book is correct. I used a roll of paper towels to clean off the gunk. Johnson's paste wax is my favorite.
Where do you get Johnson's paste wax? What is it's intended use................is it a floor wax? Regards. -Guy
wrote:

oil
it
wax
I know Lowes, HD and Walmart has it. It is a general purpose wax. Comes in a yellow can for about $6.. I use it on many furniture pieces as well. You can order it online too. There's a rumour that it was discontinued, but that's false.
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:21:13 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"

Hey Guy, I see your internet address is sasktel so I assume your a Canuck. If so, you can't get Johnson's Paste Wax in Canada. It has been discontinued in Canada. I use MinWax paste wax or TopCote. The Minwax is available at most hardware stores that carry Minwax finishes and usually in the same section. Canadian Tire and Rona-Revy will have it. ---BeerBoy
wrote:

protect
floor
BeerBoy,
Yes, I am from Saskatchewan, Canada. Thanks for the info..............much appreciated. I'll check with Home Depot or Canadian Tire. Is this good wax or is there better? Regards. -Guy
wrote:

an
Minwax was all I could find at the time. I searched all over for Johnson's before finding out it was discontinued and then someone recommended the Minwax. I use it for finishing but for my tabletops I just use TopCote. It's quick and easy and I have never had any corrosion problems yet. Nice and slippery, too.

kerosene, WD-40 or mineral spirits to clean it off.
SC Johnson's paste wax (no silicones) to protect it unless you live in a extremely high humidity area. I use that, then for a super slick surface I spray EZ Glide over the top of the buffed up wax. It's like having a cushion of air!
dave
Guy LaRochelle wrote:

kerosene and paste wax. I now use WD-40 and scouring pads after my initial cleaning.
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:04:04 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"