new and want to make furnature

I am kind of new to woodworking. Would like to make a small entertainment center. (More like a table the tv sets on with doors on the bottom.

I have a table saw. Never used a router. Is that what you use to bevel the edges on a cabinet door?

Another dumb question, can I just use a router bit in my drill press?

Also, If I wanted to use glass in the door, what can you use to cut it without breaking it? Where can you buy glass?

Sorry for allt he questions. I have worked with wood and refinished several things but never built anythign really from scratch.

Reply to
stryped

rickluce

First study Mission & Shaker style, the design requires less tools but more time and hands on. If I was starting out, the Router is now my most important tool. I wish I knew more about it and different ways to use it. You can't use a router bit in a drill press if you did it would be the most dangerous thing in the world! The average drill press's RPM's are to slow and most are belt. If it bit a piece of wood it'll kill you and anybody close.

Glass? Pretty much a glass store, some Hardware stores will carry panes. Or use glass you can find in a dump or thrown out like old windows.

Reply to
199.45.49.11

"> I have a table saw. Never used a router. Is that what you use to bevel

A router can cut a groove or shape (put a profile on) an edge. Yes it can put a bevel on an edge. A table saw or a plane can bevel an edge as well

Router its normally function at 20,000RPM a drill press is not even close to that and is designed to handle thrust in line with the bit, rather than on the side of it. No a drill press will not function well as a router at all.

My local Mom&Pop lumberyard will custom cut panes

Reply to
Stephen M

Once you learn to safety use a router and how to make a few homemade jigs for it you will absolutely fall in love with it. I'd keep my router next to my bed if my wife would allow it.

A biscuit joiner would be a nice thing to have or a good doweling jig.

as far as glass goes, I'd go tempered or safety glass and have it cut where you buy it to size.

Practice on some smaller items or things you could use first, like a nice hardwood tool chest with paneled sides and the like.

Reply to
Modat22

Reply to
stryped

You can buy plywood where the outside layers are oak.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

hello,

wellcome and get ready to have some FUN!

good start... usefull to do long cut, however (except if you have a nice big one), I would advise you not to use it to cut pannels if that is the material that you will use for your entertainement center.

a Router can do any type of bevels and profiles (depending on the bit) that you want. a router is better of on a table than free hand, but it works also free hand. a router is definitely a tool to have if you plan to do woodworking, however if you only want to do a small bevel or 45° angle, you can also use your table saw or plane...

nope! the table saw is too slow and the trust bearing is for vertical thrust instead of horizontal.

leave that to the professionals, in addition, they will give you nice non cut edges and the like. find a glass place near you, give them the dimentions, or even better the frame in which to put it and let them deal with it!

to return to your original question let me give some pointers: assuption: you will use some type of manufactured wood (plywood, particle board, MDF or similar) for the main carcasse of your cabinet:

- get a circular saw to cut the thing, or even better, if you can get the retailer to cut it to lenght for you. they have great big pallen saw that are SQUARE! and do nice precise cut. If you use a circular saw make yourself a small little jig for pannel cutting like this one:

it really helps cutting straight and at the right place. hint, prop your pannel on

2*4s to hold it above ground level... when you design your center, pay attention to the weight of the TV! and design the thing accordingly! the face is the place where you want to be carefull and do things right because it is the most visible face. you might concider buying real wood for these parts.

regards, cyrille

Reply to
Cyrille de Brébisson
  1. Start with making sure your health insurance is paid up.

  1. Read a lot of books before you jump right into this.

  2. Do not try to use drill bits in your router ( See line 1)

  1. You're already off to a good start asking for help and advice from others here.

Reply to
booger

He didn't say anything about this

Based on advice posted lately, I don't agree.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Make bevels with a table saw blade tilted or a router. Both can be dangerous if not used correctly.

No, not enough rpm's.

Have your local glass shop do this. Consider safety glass especially if you have kids.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Frank are you saying that someone HERE would offer poor advice to a fellow woodworker? I'm appalled!!

Dave

Reply to
David

| I am kind of new to woodworking. Would like to make a small | entertainment center. (More like a table the tv sets on with doors | on the bottom. | | I have a table saw. Never used a router. Is that what you use to | bevel the edges on a cabinet door?

It's one of the tools that can be used. You can also use a saw, jointer, or plane.

| Another dumb question, can I just use a router bit in my drill | press?

Yes - just not for routing (I used a straight plunge bit to drill clean holes before I found lipped brad-point drill bits.)

| Also, If I wanted to use glass in the door, what can you use to cut | it without breaking it? Where can you buy glass?

Bzzzt! You cut glass by scoring, then _breaking_ it. You can buy glass at glass stores, lumber yards, and hardware stores.

| Sorry for allt he questions. I have worked with wood and refinished | several things but never built anythign really from scratch.

The questions to be sorry for are the ones you didn't ask. A word of warning: the more you build, the better you'll probably become. About the same time that you build something beautiful, you'll discover that woodworking (especially building from scratch, and most especially when the design is your own) can be terribly addictive.

Morris Dovey

One must first learn to spell "furniture"

Reply to
Battleax

I strongly recommend reading some good books on woodworking. There are lots of basic ways to use tools and lots of common techniques that have evolved because they are effective. If you don't learn good skills and techniques, both for designing and building, you'll probably waste an awful lot of time and money and maybe injure yourself. For me, the more I know the more fun woodworking is.

Reply to
Billy Smith

But building a cabinet for example there are only outside layers, right?

Reply to
stryped

who or what are you replying to?

if you include the text that you are replying to, we can see what you're takling about, and you'll be much more likely to get a useful response.

Reply to
bridger

I always assume that anybody who just posts answers without including the question is just talking to themselves.

And they don't want any of our imput.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I assume that they are newbies. which this guy introduced himself as.

Reply to
bridger

I am asking questions similar to my origional question, learnign woodworking. I am refering to cabinet door frames that have a taper on each side of the frame. I dont understand how they meet so to speak.

I am posting in google and dont know how to quote.

Reply to
stryped