new and want to make furnature

Page 1 of 2

I am kind of new to woodworking. Would like to make a small entertainment center. (More like a table the tv sets on with doors on the bottom.
I have a table saw. Never used a router. Is that what you use to bevel the edges on a cabinet door?
Another dumb question, can I just use a router bit in my drill press?
Also, If I wanted to use glass in the door, what can you use to cut it without breaking it? Where can you buy glass?
Sorry for allt he questions. I have worked with wood and refinished several things but never built anythign really from scratch.
You can bevel an edge with sandpaper. A good investment if your making face frame cabinetry is a Kreg jig. You might want to think about getting a circular saw for rough cutting up your plywood, if that's what your going to use. Get a dado blade, or use a router and straight bit, for your table saw and you can order doors for it via multiple suppliers. The best advice my little mind can give when making cabinetry is oversize your plywood by about 1/2 inch then do a finish cut to final size. Depending on the supplier, you can not depend on your plywood to be true. It's better to do it on your own. I'm sure you'll get a lot of different advice so good luck.
stryped wrote:

First study Mission & Shaker style, the design requires less tools but more time and hands on. If I was starting out, the Router is now my most important tool. I wish I knew more about it and different ways to use it. You can't use a router bit in a drill press if you did it would be the most dangerous thing in the world! The average drill press's RPM's are to slow and most are belt. If it bit a piece of wood it'll kill you and anybody close.
Glass? Pretty much a glass store, some Hardware stores will carry panes. Or use glass you can find in a dump or thrown out like old windows.

"> I have a table saw. Never used a router. Is that what you use to bevel

A router can cut a groove or shape (put a profile on) an edge. Yes it can put a bevel on an edge. A table saw or a plane can bevel an edge as well
> Another dumb question, can I just use a router bit in my drill press.
Router its normally function at 20,000RPM a drill press is not even close to that and is designed to handle thrust in line with the bit, rather than on the side of it. No a drill press will not function well as a router at all.

My local Mom&Pop lumberyard will custom cut panes

Once you learn to safety use a router and how to make a few homemade jigs for it you will absolutely fall in love with it. I'd keep my router next to my bed if my wife would allow it.
A biscuit joiner would be a nice thing to have or a good doweling jig.
as far as glass goes, I'd go tempered or safety glass and have it cut where you buy it to size.
Practice on some smaller items or things you could use first, like a nice hardwood tool chest with paneled sides and the like.
hello,

one), I would advise you not to use it to cut pannels if that is the material that you will use for your entertainement center.

you want. a router is better of on a table than free hand, but it works also free hand. a router is definitely a tool to have if you plan to do woodworking, however if you only want to do a small bevel or 45 angle, you can also use your table saw or plane...

instead of horizontal.

cut edges and the like. find a glass place near you, give them the dimentions, or even better the frame in which to put it and let them deal with it!
to return to your original question let me give some pointers: assuption: you will use some type of manufactured wood (plywood, particle board, MDF or similar) for the main carcasse of your cabinet: - get a circular saw to cut the thing, or even better, if you can get the retailer to cut it to lenght for you. they have great big pallen saw that are SQUARE! and do nice precise cut. If you use a circular saw make yourself a small little jig for pannel cutting like this one: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/RipCirc.html it really helps cutting straight and at the right place. hint, prop your pannel on 2*4s to hold it above ground level... when you design your center, pay attention to the weight of the TV! and design the thing accordingly! the face is the place where you want to be carefull and do things right because it is the most visible face. you might concider buying real wood for these parts.
regards, cyrille
I thought I would use oak for the whole thing? How would I use plywood and it look right when stained? Cyrille de Brbisson wrote:

stryped wrote:

You can buy plywood where the outside layers are oak.
Chris
But building a cabinet for example there are only outside layers, right?

who or what are you replying to?
if you include the text that you are replying to, we can see what you're takling about, and you'll be much more likely to get a useful response.

I always assume that anybody who just posts answers without including the question is just talking to themselves.
And they don't want any of our imput.
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:59:03 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

I assume that they are newbies. which this guy introduced himself as.

Yeah, I'm about at that point too. Obviously the chance of google ever fixing that is close enough to zero. I wonder if it's time for that filter.
I am asking questions similar to my origional question, learnign woodworking. I am refering to cabinet door frames that have a taper on each side of the frame. I dont understand how they meet so to speak.
I am posting in google and dont know how to quote.

instead of clicking on the reply button at the bottom of the message, click on the options button at the top. from there you'll have a reply button that quotes by default.
next you need to learn to snip.
stryped wrote:

He means the outside layer of the plywood is of oak.
er
Oak plywood.
I thought I would use oak for the whole thing? How would I use plywood and it look right when stained? Cyrille de Brbisson wrote:

1. Start with making sure your health insurance is paid up.
2. Read a lot of books before you jump right into this.
3. Do not try to use drill bits in your router ( See line 1)
4. You're already off to a good start asking for help and advice from others here.

He didn't say anything about this

Based on advice posted lately, I don't agree.
Frank Ketchum wrote:

fellow woodworker? I'm appalled!!
Dave