Never Used a Router Change Elevation Question

I have a Sears router 315.17480. I've never used a router. I have it underneath my router table. How do I change the height of the bit through the table? Is it okay if I ask that in this forum? Thank you. The router was give to me (inherited). I have to rout a dado at a certain depth. Please tell me also, how do I get the existng bit off? Thank you again.

Reply to
needin4mation

You need to pull the router from the table and become familiar with the workings of the adjustment mechanism. Generally speaking, there will be a locking mechanism and an adjustment collar to set your bit cutting depth. Unlock, set the depth and re-lock. Re-install in the table and repeat the process with the router in an inverted position.

Reply to
C & M

the answer to your question is here:

Reply to
bridger

I don't mean this in a mean way, but you should get a manual for the router and read it and then make sure you understand how to use it before trying to do so. If you do that, you'll have no problem answering your question.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Did I misunderstand, or do you have no experience w/ power tools? Continuing along that vein, also no safety knowledge of power tools? Find a friend or neighbor to help you out, BEFORE you start using.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

"Saw-mounted or free-standing outfeed rollers?"

"I don't think so, Tim!" :-)

Reply to
Dhakala

I have looked everywhere for a manual. Believe me I know you are right. They don't sell them anymore at Sears. I may get it on Ebay one day.

Reply to
needin4mation

Reading a basic manual for any router will at least give you some basics of how they work. Get a book at the library to learn how to use it safely. Buy one of Pat Warner's books and become a pro.

Edwin Pawlowski

Sears Parts Direct; enter the model number you gave then search for 'manual'

Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

They are out of it.

Reply to
needin4mation

Like I suggested, take the router out and use some logic. It's not all that difficult. But like Rick said, if this is very foreign to you *please* get a little assistance. Fingers and eyes are too rare to take a big risk.

Reply to
C & M

Actually they list the manual for this router on their replacement parts web site. Do a search for the model number and view the parts list. The manual is the last entry. I just did the search. It is there. Go to www3.sears.com . I was given a model 315.175050 router and actually went to the repair and service outlet for the local sears store and the ordered it for me. About ten bux IIRC.

Aloha... Craig

Reply to
MakaNui