Router question

New to woodworkign and thinking of buying a router although I never have used one. What can one be used for and what is the difference between a pluge cut one and a fixed cut one? (Or whatever).

Reply to
stryped

If you a need, you'll know what you need it for.

A plunge router has a movable base that allows for, well plunge-cutting, while a fixed based doesn't. For hand use, the plunge base is often handy -- think making a stopped cut in the surface of a workpiece w/ vertical entrance/exit. If used in a table, the plunge feature isn't of much use although many use one as double duty.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Go here, read and then come back and ask your question again.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Also, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is as true for routers as any other power tool. Buying a cheap router, with a sloppy depth lock, will make you not want to own one any more. You will also ruin expensive wood.

As Bob's link indicates, the router is a very versatile tool. Even a good, capable machine might be your smallest investment. There are lots of accessories that allow you to do a variety of operations.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

a very nice one. (In older literature the "plane" was dropped from "router plane" often....)

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Fixed base router is set for a specific depth of cut. A plunge router can have the depth of cut changed during operation. Normally you set the plunge router for a maximum depth of cut, start it with the cutter above the surface and plunge it into the timber for stopped grooves.

A router is used for edge treatment of timber (roundovers, ogee etc), trimming edges flush to sides, cutting rebates, trenches etc.

There are plenty of books on using a router. Try your local library.

A router table can be very useful for making your own moldings. It is not necessary to go with a very expensive table initially.

Reply to
marks542004

I agree with what's been posted so far - get a nice router (at least $100, Bosch, Porter-Cable, Dewalt, etc) with a 1/2" collet. Pat Warner's site is helpful, and I'd also recommend looking at general woodworking books, or books specific to router use. One useful accessory to think about is an offset sub-base - I think these are recommended and maybe even sold at Pat Warner's site. I have one from Rockler that was designed for use as an edge guide, which I've found very handy.

fun routing, Andy

Reply to
Andy

In fact, some very nice router tables are shop built. Lots of ideas on the internet and Woodworking magazines. Again, it doesn't have to be elaborate.

Reply to
RonB

Say, you don't know if the blades for that are compatible with a Stanley #71 router, do you?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Yes, I don't know. A router plane is on the very long list of planes that are still missing in my cellar^H^H^H^H^Hshop, and this very new one (is it shipping already?) even more so...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

It was on impulse power that I approached this old thing. Now I look at it the narrow blade has been filed down to a nub (still a little time left on it), and I'd like to replace the blades.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root