Router question

Sorry to sound dim, but I've been trying to find a 'how to' guide on setting up a router. 1.Does anyone know of one?

2.If I wanted to route slots say 9mm, 12mm and 18mm wide, would I need to buy 3 'router bits'?
  1. I need a router for a one-off fence paneling job. So the choice is to hire one or buy a cheaper model. It would be nice to have one in the kit, bearing in mind, with fencing, I'm not looking for a pro finish - what are folks' views on the cheapo multi-speed routers in the £30 - £45 bracket? Thanks.

Bertie

Reply to
Bertie Doe

A bit that's 9mm or smaller will be able to do all your slots. Just do another pass (or more) having adjusted the guide accordingly to take off more wood..

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

ing

you could make up a simple jig, if you have got a number of slots to cut this would save you time -see

you will need a collar as a guide.

Reply to
AJH

As someone else has said one size will do all three widths. Practice on some scrap first and dot try and cut more than say 5-6 mm deep on each pass. If you are working on narrow stock say less than half the width of the router base, clamp other pieces alongside to give a wider support surface. Far better to use an undersize cutter say 8mm and do each edge of the groove separately. Assuming the slot is going away from you, cut the left hand edge moving away from you, and the right hand edge moving towards you. Keep the router moving otherwise the wood will burn. Buy tungsten carbide bits. Wealden,

are a very good compromise over price and quality. Usually very quick delivery. Cheap multiprofile sets are usually false economy. Your dont really need variable speed for the size of cutter for this job so put your money into a better fixed speed machine if there is a choice.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks Rob, AJH and Bob, that's exactly the info and links I need.

Regards Bertie

Reply to
Bertie Doe

There are more books on routing than you could shake a stick at. Have a look at the Axminster Power Tools site.

No, one would do it.

Not too bad IME, if you buy a cheapie & get the routing bug you can always upgrade.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman