Need table saw advice

Ok, I am know various permutations of this question have been asked before (I've done google searchs and read reviews), but I still need some more specific and up-to-date input.

I am building a wood working shop,. Over the course of a year or so I have read books on woodworking, watched NYW on TV, and I have built chess boards, boxes, and a workbench, mostly simple stuff with relatively cheap tools. I have decided I like the hobby and want to invest in some quality tools. Currently I have a $200 portable craftsman table saw. Usually in a hobby I go as cheap as possible until I decide if I like it or not, then I try to go quality so I don't re-buy. So I am going to buy either a cabinet saw (unisaw, powermatic, grizzly, shop fox, etc.) or a contractor saw. If I go with a good contractor saw like deltaX 36-507x I'll have plenty of money for other things but I don't want to do that if I am putting myself in a situation where I need to upgrade in the future. It boils down to the question: will I be able to tell the difference between a contractor or cabinet saw at a hobbyist level of use? Are cabinet saws mostly just for production type work in a cabinet shop or are they more precise and better suited for a hobbyist who wants to only make a few fine pieces? Is a grizzly cabinet saw better buy than a deltaX contractor saw (they cost the same)? Right now I am leaning toward just putting about $2000 into a good cabinet saw, dado set, portable base, and tenon jig. I have the room and a

220 outlet. If you think there is a better way to go please give me your advice before I make an expensive mistake. I plan to use the saw for a lifetime and make everything from furniture to a doghouse with it, but it will only be in my spare time and weekends. I don't know if it makes a difference but I am very big on precision, I like things to fit perfect. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply to
Marc

Unquestionably, irrevocably, inarguably, IF you are serous about woodworking, go for a CABINET SAW .. hands down, NO question, NO argument otherwise accepted.

You will NOT be sorry if you buy the best CABINET SAW you can afford, you will NOT look back, you will NOT wonder whether you did the right thing, you will NOT kick yourself for doing so, there will be NO doubt in your mind that it was a smart move, because you CAN then forget about the tool and concentrate on the creation.

Guaranteed ....

Reply to
Swingman

That, in a nutshell, sums up about two-zillion Google posts. But now, you'll get to read the other side of the story..

Let the games begin....

Bob S.

PS - I own a cabinet saw

Reply to
Bob S.

Well, you have money left over. Get a rebuilt Unisaw w/Unifence, mobile base and tenon devie ($100). Mighty-T Track for the Unifernce , feather boards,and you are in business. You will have no problem at all if you will buy and pick-up instead of deliver. I load /unload everything myself which helps. A cabinet saw is :

1) More powerful 2) More steady, sturdier 3) Cleaner 4) Commands respect. You will f>Ok, I am know various permutations of this question have been asked before
Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Depends. If you cut mostly 1" or less, now you will see no difference.

If you are going to rip some 2" or 3" maple, yes, there will be a difference. If you are only doing that type of work once a year, the contractor saw will be suitable. If you do it often, spend the extra up front. In the couple of years I've owned a Delta contractor saw, only once did I think it would have been better to have more power. It just took me longer to make the cuts. Not enough to justify the $1000 difference. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you've got the room, money and 220V - then go for a cabinet saw. Pragmatically speaking, you'll never long for more (unless you're into industrial gear). If you "settle" for a contractor saw, there's a chance you'll be content and a good chance you'll wish you'd had spent the extra money.

Like you - I stick a "cheap" toe in the water when I start a new hobby. I too blew $200 on the Craftsman bench saw. After becoming convinced that I enjoyed it, I went "hybrid" (more contractor than cabinet) because I didn't have the room and didn't have 220V.

I'd start working in Excel and seeing how much you can get for your $2000 with a cabinet saw. The other decision you'll want to make early is whether you go for 52" rails or 30". That'll affect your portable base investment too.

These things seem to hold their value, fairly well. I take solace knowing that the buck I invest in quality tools means (1) my children, should they show an interest, will have them and (2) I could sell them and recoup enough of my initial outlay to take the sting away.

Reply to
mttt

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

If I had the space and that budget, I'd consider two contractor saws. Ideally one left tilt and the other right tilt. No doubt one of them would have the dado set installed more or less permanently. I'd use my dado a LOT more if it wasn't for the time to change blades, and the fact "normal" TS rips and crosscuts can't be done when my TS has the dado in.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

There's a BIG difference between a cabinet saw and a contractor saw. A contractor saw is lighter (more flimsy) for portability, and lacks good dust collection. A heavier machine has less vibration for a more accurate cut. Keep in mind, though, that there are better quality contractor saws than cabinet saws.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks, good advice I don't want to look back I'm bad about looking back and wondering what if.

Reply to
Marc

Don't contractor saws and cabinet saws take up about the same amount of space?

Marc

Buy the best you can afford and have fun. Life is too short not to have fun.

Good tools are a delight to use and, in the right hands, make projects more enjoyable. I have a Dela Unisaw. My only regret is not having a garage big enough.

Reply to
Charles

Contractor saws take up more space than cabinet saws 'cause of the motor hanging out the back. The DeWalt and Jet hybrids are contractor type saws with the motor inside the frame which makes for a cabinet saw footprint.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

My cabinet saw cost less than the difference that you state....

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Did that come out like you wanted?

Reply to
Swingman

Take a look at the General from Canada... I own a Unisaw, but I would give the _Canadian_ made General a hard look if I had to buy again.

to give you a look at it.

Reply to
Swingman

yep, I love the "life is too short" argument. Only problem is I've over used it a bit.

Reply to
Marc

If I went with a grizzly it wouldn't be a $1000 difference, in fact it would be about the same, but more than likely if I take the plunge on a cabinet saw it would be fair to say it is about $1000 difference in my case (deltax or powermatic)

Reply to
Marc

What contractor saws are better quality than which cabinet saws? Are you refering to grizzly or craftsman? I've been told they are pretty high quality overall except for the fence, and they decent comparisons with other cabinet saws in "wood" magazine (I think it was wood).

Reply to
Marc

I read a comparison and general rated very high, but I can't find much information on general. Does the manufacture have a website? Is there a dealer in the dallas-ft worth area?

> Just to give you a look at it.

Reply to
Marc