Need recommendations for miter saw

I'm a hobbyist / handyman and I need to buy a rather basic 10" miter saw . Am now considering either the Delta model ( 250 I believe ) at Lowes for $ 87 or the Ryobi at Home Depot for the same price.I had a smaller Ryobi for years that provided great service and would buy the same make now except that the Delta has a blade brake and the Ryobi does not. Can anyone share their experience with either machine? T I A

I'd probably go the Delta over the Ryobi. Unless you go for the new professional series from Ryobi (which is not widely available in the USA at this time, but rather impressive), the regular handyman Ryobi range is not too crash hot. I'd have to imagine the Delta would win that battle.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book - Kreg Universal Bench Klamp - GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - Triton Powered Respirator ------------------------------------------------------------

FWIW I had a 10" Delta that might well have become the model number of the saw you're looking at (I've seen it and really can't tell any differences from the one I'd paid about $170 for about 3 years ago).
I always regretted buying that Delta saw -- and even more so after I found that I could have bought a far-better Ryobi saw for less money! That was a mistake I made while in a rush to get some Crown Moulding hanged. I've since managed to sell that Delta to an unsuspecting soul (and haven't even had a twinge of a guilty conscience).
It was replaced with a 12" Craftsman/Ryobi that I picked up at a truck load sale at the local Sears Service Center for just a bit over $200 -- normal price was $299 (which was the same as a "comparable" DeWalt at the retail store -- but I'd have taken the DeWalt insteas for full price). I have no regrets about buying that Craftsman/Ryobi 12" saw -- it's accurate and solid and more than "worth the price paid". The Delta I managed to get rid of was a sloppy "work of art".
Steve www.apachetrail.com/ww/
Its been a few years now, but when I was shopping the sliding miters were just coming out. There were too expensive then, so I got a DeWalt 12" and have used the heck out of it, including doing small 1/2 moldings. Its a great saw. But I often run up against cuts that I wish I had the sliding miter. YOull get a ton of use out of it whatever you buy, so I would recommend to invest some dollars to get a slider and youll never look back.

OneRoadPony wrote:

10" blade can't quite cut a 1x6. The brake kind of wore down after a while so it doesn't stop as fast as it used to. Seems to be pretty accurate, the miters I cut with are more square than the rest of my house. I'm not a fan of Ryobi after own my sears labeled ryobi router for a couple years.

A 10" blade will cut all the way through a 1x6 if you raise it up off the table with a spacer of the appropriate thickness. A 1x6 works for me.
Charlie
Charlie Mraz wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (OneRoadPony) wrote in message

I would spend another $50 bucks and get a Dewalt.
definately! I disliked my delta from almost the first day. It's fence was warped and it wouldn't consistently stay in square. Every time I moved it to another position I would have to "tweak" it back to be 90 degrees again. It was close every time, but off just enough to screw up things like frames.
My wife bought me the 12" porter cable for xmas and it is a world of difference. The Delta may be ok of construction work, but I wouldn't want to go back to using it for woodworking again.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (George) wrote in