Need bay window seat ideas? Photos?

Hi all,

I want a window seat for our bay window but am having huge problems finding pictures on the internet to give me design ideas.

Do you know of any good sites? If you have any photos please can you email me them for ideas!

I ideally will want cushions on top and storage for toy boxes underneath - not a lift lid seat but probably cupboard doors. I am having problems visualising the sort of front I can ask an amataur to do whithout it looking naff, or being too tricky.

Can anyone help?!! Many thanks Beccie

Reply to
Rebecca

Beccie,

I did a window seat with built ins for my daughter's room. It isn't a bay window, but may give you some ideas. I did drawers under the seat instead of doors.

it helps.

Dave

Reply to
David Bridgeman

Take a look at Anderson and or Pella windows web site.

Reply to
Leon

You did a great job. It looks really good! Got me thinking...

Reply to
Rebecca

I don't have any pictures for you but I can recommend a simple method that would be fairly easy for a novice. If your bay is under 8' you can make the front out of 3/4" sheet goods. Cleat the walls at your desired height and cleat the floor to keep the front straight. Then cut the openings out of the plywood, cut a 45 degree cut on each end and install. You will have raw material showing on the edges of the openings unless you cover them with something. Also,assuming you stain, all of the grain will be running horizontally. If you can live with both of those problems, the front will be much easier to build than a stile and rail front.

It's a little more involved than that but you get the idea. If you don't plan to tie the seat into the windows (in the bay) be sure to cleat far enough below the windows to get the top on and maybe some molding depending on whether you can fit the back of the lid along the angles. If you want to tie the seat to the windows, you may need to remove some trim. Put the lid on last and cover the raw edge at the front (that is now showing) with a piece of stock routed top and bottom. The top will stabilize the top edge of the front and since it's cleated at the floor it will be quite strong. Add doors and finish and fill up with stuff.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.