Nail / Staple Gun

Hi,
I have got a cheapo staple gun which is very hard to use, both physically (puching the trigger) as well as getting the staples accurate.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the cheap electric ones. NOT the air compressor ones.. too expensive.
Cheers,
Sam

Your choice. Pay for a pneumatic or put up with junk. The electrics just don't do a good job. There is a reason the air guns cost more, they are made to work.

Hi,
I have one of the electric ones. It's OK for upholstery but useless for any type of woodworking.
Jo
Sam,
We have been using the cheap pnumatic guns from harbour freight for our remodeling business and have been very pleased with them. We have one gun we have used for almost a year with no misfires or problems. We oil them every time we use them. There is a brad nailer 3/8" to 2" for $19.99 that is the one we use the most. They also have to other guns on sale that shoot nails and staples for under $40.00
AZCRAIG

I have an electric. They are good for starting the staple. You have to then drive it in using a hammer.

NOT

NOT
I have a relatively inexpensive staple gun (Arrow, I think) and frankly, it blows. Harbor Freight has a 1/4" crown pneumatic stapler for $30 and a 1/2" crown for $40. I think the general opinion of the HF air nailers/staplers here has been pretty positive.
todd
Where's my original post gone?
Sam

physically
it
1/2"
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:35:05 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"
There's only one staple gun - the Arrow T-50.
Nothing else is worth having. Talk to a roadie sometime - no-one who staples things, rigs market stalls or dresses windows day-in-day-out uses anything else. I've got two of these (couldn't find it one day - bought another), one is 20 years old, the other 10.
For wiring, the staples are funny and you need the other version.
If you're a production-line upholsterer doing modern work with staples rather than tacks, as the good Chippendale intended, then you might want a pneumatic stapler. No-one else needs one.
Electric staplers are rubbish. All rubbish.
There's not really much call for staples anyway. They're very convenient for some rapid purposes, but they're not the way to go for real work.
Something similar applies to nailers too. I use a hammer. I have lots of hammers, and many of them will drive any sort of nail. Yet for all my hammers I probably only spent about as much as one air nailer. I keep getting raised eyebrows at my "30 quid hammer" (a big Vaughan framer), and this is from people who are using a 150quid nailer to do the same job. Mine is lighter, cordless and survives being dropped too.
Nailers do have one advantage over hammers, unlike staplers, in that the air version has multiple-fed nails and the manual version doesn't. If you're truly in a production environment then that has some use, but how often are you ?
The older (and hopefully smarter) I get, the more I'm willing to track down and spend money on the _right_ tool, and the less time I spend reading tool catalogues full of new junk. Tool vendors with shiny new plastic pods don't have your best interests at heart - they're there to sell you s shiny new gadget, then sell you another one after that breaks.
--
Smert' spamionam