N95 face masks - advice

DAVID and WILLR both recommended that one wears N95 face masks while generating dust in the workshop, and for some time afterwards (as the microdust settles down).

The material on the internet is very confusing. N95 relates to the size of particles it filters. Some come with ports and some without.

I'm hoping that I can use a face shield for most of my work instead of goggles. But in either case, I'll need a comfortable face mask.

I also will be wearing glasses (reading) so that I can see what I'm doing! I don't know if that makes any difference with respect to face masks.

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I have used them, the ports in the mask stop your glasses from fogging up.....a big advantage.... "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
George Berlinger

I've used some also. I got a box from Rockler (not N95-rated that I can see, but they are multi-layer and have an exhale valve). These seem to filter well and release condensation well to avoid glasses-fogging, but the elastic straps don't last too long. One thing I've noticed with the exhale valve is that if enough condensation builds up inside, it will occasionally drip out - something to watch if you're bending over your project. Next I think I want to try some from Lee valley ("Anti-fog Dust masks", or maybe their "pleated dust masks", which are N95). Anyone tried either of these? How about one of the big rubber jobs with replaceable filters?

Reply to
Andy

RE: Subject

I like Moldex.

Available with or w/o valve.

About $15/box of 10 pcs.

Check a safety clothing supplier.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The big rubber ones are great- I've always used them for work when it involves hazardous chemicals of one sort or another or particularly nasty dust, and they'll filter out just about anything with the right cartridge. The industral supplier in town sells them for about $10 without a set of filters, Menards has them for $25 with a set of charcoal filters. Either way, they're worth it. Get the round foam filters for dust, and "Organic vapor" cartridges for solvents, spraying finishes, spray paint, etc. It helps to put a prefilter pad (sold in the same place as the rest) over the organic vapor cartridges in dusty areas to help it last longer.

They mold tightly to your face and make an airtight seal (no condensation drips or foggy glasses), are about the same comfort-wise as a paper mask when adjusted correctly. The base mask lasts two or three years, cartridge life depends on what you're using them for, and how much they have to filter.

Highly recommended if you're going to use a mask a lot, or are particularly sensitive to dust or solvents. No matter how good a paper mask is, I've always had a little junk get past them. For the prices I've seen, they're pretty competive with the paper masks once you factor in the increase in performance and the number of disposable masks it can replace.

Reply to
Prometheus

First off, Andy, why aren't you going for N100 masks? If you're in a dusty area, you need the utmost in protection for your lungs.

Ditto, Prom. I just ordered a box of what I thought were organic vapor filters only to find out that they were paper alone, no carbon. The genie guy on Ebay was charging $11 for shipping so I thought they were the heavier REAL filters. I did misread the auction but the guy had nothing but "well, I filled my part of the bargain" even though the package weighed less than ONE POUND and he nailed me for $11 shipping. I won't be doing business with "genie-lamp" AKA "hightechliquidators" on Ebay again, lemme tell ya.

I think the silicone resuscitator masks are more comfortable than paper masks. I also recommend purchasing an extra box full of cartridges the same time you get the mask. That way you won't end up on Ebay with someone jerking you around.

Better yet is handling the dust at the source, before it gets to your face/skin/lungs. He needs a dust collector, or at least a shop vac with a HEPA filter element (and a pair of muffs.)

----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!

Wondrous Website Design =================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Should read: Box of 20.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I finally went out and got a respirator with changable filters and I wish I had done that a long time ago. It fits securely and seems to filter very well. The VOC filter completely removes the smell and headache caused by finishes. I don't remember the exact price, but it really wasn't very expensive ($20-30?). The one I got was manufactured by North.

Find a safety store in your area. (Look under "safety" in the yellow pages.) The masks come in different sizes, so you need to find one that fits your face.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

While there is something to that, the beauty of the respirators is that you can do dusty work outside of the shop as well. Might not be an issue for most, but the bulk of my solvent/dust exposure is on jobsites- and it'd be tough to cart around anything much more than a good exhaust fan.

Reply to
Prometheus

Each has its place in the shop/arsenal against dust/mists, etc.

Masks work fine for mowing and weedeating.

Respirators (with the proper filter carts) work for spraying pesticides and working with ammonia, etc.

And exhaust fans/dust collectors/shop vacs keep the dust off you (and out of your lungs) in the shop.

Doubling up is a good idea, too. Carcinogens in your lungs just give them reason to form growths which'll either ruin your quality of life or kill you. We can't have that, now, can we?

----------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmmm. Mother nature really screwed up, I guess. She traps particles too small to be seen by creating turbulence around mucous-coated hairs.

Put a bit of Vaseline on your beard and see what happens.

Reply to
George