my makita: china or usa?

This group googled-out to appear most authoritative on the subject...
I have a Makita MForce 18v 6347D cordless driver drill.
i bought it at Menard's last spring believing it was manufactured in Buford Georgia, but i have been sufficiently challenged to question whether it was built in Buford after all. Any insight?
If this is a PRC trojan horse i am going to be very very upset and angry.
I'd appreciate authoritative, verifiable info in either direction. I'm coming up with ... not much.
thanks.
max monningh.
--
<blink>

The wear the "Made in USA" label it has to be at least a certain percentage of real USA parts. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pure 100% anything today as you have little control over your supplier's sources of materials even if they are putting their sub assemblies together here from unknown origins.
max wrote:

Well, does it say on it "Made in USA"? If not then don't bet on it.
If you wanted a tool that was made in the US then why on Earth did you buy a Japanese brand?
Perhaps you googled "Makita" and since most of the early hits were on Makita USA you assumed that it was a US company? If so, you might want to see their _real_ home page at <http://www.makita.co.jp

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

What does it say on the tool?

Will the tool be better or worse depending on your findings?
USA Manufactures Political Rhetoric......and maybe still Pet Rocks!
We used to do everything, then in the 80's POOF! it all started moving overseas. Even if it says "Made in the USA", that can mean that the Final Assembly was completed here. So all the components could be manufactured in China and just slapped together here. I'd say if your so concerned Write Makita a nice letter with all the details and Serial#'s of your drill and inquire as to where and what was manufactured in Buford!

If it doesn't say "Made in China" then it was assembled here.
--
Rumpty

Yes but we also accept Chinese and many other country's products that are assembled in Canada and Mexico and if it is done by an American Manufacturer on this continent. I think it can still be "Made in America"

No, if it isn't made in the US it must be labeled as to where it was made. This has been law for years.
--
Rumpty

thanks for the informative and helpful answers.
.max
--
<blink>

Unlike the other toolmakers, Makita is tricky. Some of their tools only list the country of origin on the cardboard box but not on the tool itself. The label on the tool will say something like Makita of Buford Georgia, or Makita of Japan, or something like that. In this case, the address corresponds to where it was made.
Man, that's a beaut! Used the ol' made in China lure and hooked yourself a nice one. Boy take that down to the game station and get it weighed.
SteveP.