My free plans for a William Morris Table

Google William Morris 1834-96 and the results you will get are all wallpaper and fabrics, still being made and still for sale. He was a great decorator but he was also much more than that, an artist, poet, novelist, entrepreneur, all round designer, craftsman, printer-publisher, politician and visionary. His vision was of a new society in which manufacturing was returned to the craft workshop, where people found joy in making things of beauty, utility and quality. Cities and factories would be demolished as people returned to their rural communities where they would rediscover brotherhood, mutual endeavour and self reliance. It was a vision based on a romantic view of the medieval economy - craftsmanship, guilds, self governing small towns and common ownership. His furniture, like the paintings of his friend Burne-Jones is an imagined and idealised medievalism. Furniture to be craftsman made, not mass produced, solid, honest and decorated with paint or with a few rustic motifs.
I have been drawing some plans to make a William Morris table taken from photographs of a surviving piece. I haven't seen the piece so I can't be totally certain that I have the overall dimensions correct but I am pretty sure I have it close. I am posting them in pdf in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I would welcome any feedback. In particular I tried to draw up the plans so they could be used by beginners to produce a small piece of furniture. I would like to know if you think I have been successful. The design is particularly well suited for a couple of weekends hand tool work cutting some simple joints in solid pine.
Tim W

I see interest in my drawing is pretty limited here and on the binaries group. I still think I am casting pearls before you guys so where would be a good repository for these drawings for the good of mankind? Is there a free library of plans somewhere? They don't have to be grateful, just take them and keep them.
Tim W
On 7/6/2011 7:03 AM, Tim W wrote:

Your plans have probably been downloaded from abpw more than you realize.
Although I rarely use third party plans, I did grab yours and at some point will take the time to transfer them to the 3D realm for my SketchUp library.
You did an excellent job with plans, BTW ... so thanks! Very thorough, professional methodology.
Google "free woodworking plans" and you should find repositories that should be glad to get additions to their library.
Here's a good place to start that takes submissions:
http://www.freewoodworkingplan.com/about.php
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 13:03:28 +0100, Tim W wrote:

I downloaded the plans and appreciate the effort you put into them.
I may build one of these for a coffee table in the future.
basilisk

Thank you all for letting me know. I appreciate it.
Tim W

I dl'd as well.
Where's JOAT when we need him?
-Zz
Tim W wrote:

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

[...]
you don't have that one I am looking for somewhere to put them on the www.
Tim W

There certainly is a library. It is well maintained with a diverse selection. The head of the library is a guy that goes by the handle JOAT. Best to email him and he'll send you what you need.
On 7/7/2011 4:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

ROTFL ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

--------
group. I still think I am casting pearls before you guys so where would be a good repository for these drawings for the good of mankind? Is there a free library of plans somewhere? They don't have to be grateful, just take them and keep them. Tim W

Thanks Joe. I will repost them in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking in the next day or two both as jpeg and pdf.
Tim w
How about the various magazines on the news stand. In the library ?
Books in the library ?
Martin
On 7/6/2011 1:53 PM, Joe <Joe@Joe'sPlace.com wrote:

Hey Martin, how are you? How is the baking? Pizza and ciabatta for me today.
The query was about where to deposit/publish plans for free use rather than where to find them.
Tim W
Quite the contrary Tim. Most of us really appreciate a good set of plans. I may not live long enough to build all the items I have plans to, but I love to look at them.Ssometimes I borrow ideas for my own projects, even if I don't get around to building the initial item. I like the idea of creating a repository of free plans. I'm surprised nobody has done it sooner. I think most people are afraid of all the legalities involved with copyrights. In this lawyer infested world, we do have to be oh so careful you know. If you do find such a repository, post a link for the rest of us. I'd love to go wild on a sight like that!
Kevin
Could you post a more direct link? When I go to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking I get rerouted to http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw /
I see the pic, but no plans.
Thanx

Kimosabe, that's the wrong pic/table. This is the WM table (but no plans or link shown):
http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/117722-1.jpg
Similarly, there was a Roycroft book shelf shown on Antiques Road Show. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200106A02.html
Additionally, I saw this rustic hutch on EBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Prim-Old-Barn-Wood-Made-Pewter-Hutch-Pine-77-Tall-/260818819860?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item3cba035b14 - saved the pic. Someday, I may give this project a try.
Sonny
Kimosabe, scratch my correction. I looked only at the first pic, in the half window, and thought you linked to only that pic (Swingman's pic).
Sonny