My favorite low cost Christmas gift

At the request of my family, I put together a few suggestions for low cost gifts to give me for Christmas. One of the suggestions was a project calculator that was on sale at Rockler for $19.95. Its thin and light and slips into a shirt pocket easily. The main feature of this calculator is that it accepts input in fractions and presents results in fractions. I have found this little jewel to be a great stress reliever in the shop. I am good at math, but working with fractional math (the bain of being in America!) is mentally draining for me. Like yesterday, I was laying out a clamp rack addition for some new bessey k-bodies. Hmmm, let's see, I've got 16" width and need 1 1/2" for each clamp. Allow 7/16" for a spacer between each one. You get the picture. I did all the math on the project calculator and got it right the first time!
Bob

If I didn't already have one, this is what I would ask for: http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/83490.asp
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:20:34 GMT, Nate Perkins

Duluth Trading is loaded with stuff I'd like to have. Too bad it is all expensive. :-(
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Hi Mike,
Yeah, the only thing I've bought from Duluth is that $20 shop apron. They do send me a catalog now and then but most of the stuff isn't my style (e.g, don't know what I'd do with an "unlined fire hose chore coat" or a "Canadian military 3-in-1 jacket." ... YMMV).
The shop apron's very good though. It's really comfortable and it's saved me from getting glue on my clothes and helps keep the sawdust out of the house.
Cheers, Nate
Nate Perkins wrote:

Sigh. I bought a shop apron on sale at Rocklers for about $15. Canvas, fits well, looks fine. Bought it because LOML would toss a perfectly good shop t-shirt with a small stain on it. Said she didn't want me going into town looking like something or another. But now, she likes the apron and tells me not to get it dirty or stained. Anybody else think this is rather bizarre behavior? How do you spell Catch-22?     twitch,     jo4hn

M-a-r-r-i-a-g-e
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I just tell my wife what I want in the way of shop aprons and she makes them for me. Complete with the pockets I want where I want them, out of the materials I want, etc.
Nice arrangement.
--RC
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 05:49:46 GMT, Nate Perkins

Uhhh...
Actually I've looked at the FOM shirts they have. I hate having my shirt tails always coming out, and my size tends to make me prone to the dreaded "plumbers-butt".
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

They make the best T-shirts that I have ever worn. Not expensive either. I also may try the FOM's.
... snip

FOM?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

FOM = Freedom of Movement
Hopefully, movement refers to your shoulders and arms. -- ******** Bill Pounds http://www.billpounds.com
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:28:56 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Freedom Of Movement. They have extra material in the underarm area and an added back gusset. They're a bit expensive for my pocketbook, but I hate the way most shirts bind on me, so I may try them anyway.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Around last Father's Day they were selling those long-tailed tee shirts in a little white tub labelled "crack spackle."

Wal-Mart has these in NJ for $12.95 regular price. Real handy in the shop.
Usual disclaimer, not associated with WalMart, Project Calc. etc.
Big John
Take out the TRASH for E-mail.

Cool. I'll remember that when I buy a couple for future presents.
Bob