Must-have tool.

I have two SAK's ... like I say, I can't get rid of the damned things.

Besides, right tool for the job:

If I need an "all purpose" tool on site on in the shop, a SAK will not do the job.

For my three piece suit pocket when I'm hobnobbing with office effete elite, they work just fine .... and I can always find them.

Reply to
Swingman

When I was gutting the bathroom in my first house, built around 1910-20 or so, when I opened the false ceiling, there lay the nicest, large, high quality steel linesman pliers/cutter I've seen. One of my most cherished tools. I think of the guy that lost them every time I use it, or even look at it, even though I have no idea who he was, he is still moocho appreciated:-)

The moral is, if you are going to lose a tool, make it a high quality one, so you'll be appreciated for many years to come...

Reply to
Jack Stein

Jack Stein wrote in news:ho5f8s$4tt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Mine disappeared into the #$@%cking hands of the TSA idiocy. Yes it probably could have been used as a weapon, but still - here is an elderly guy who likes to peel his oranges with a knife ...

Reply to
Han

On Mar 21, 12:47=A0pm, Han wrote: [snip]

Spiral or quadrant/sectional along vertical axis?

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 23:48:37 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

On the protector board, which you hit instead of marking up your project? OK. So, who cares? ;)

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No kidding. I have tried to carry one of those things, but growing up with a pocket knife in my pocket (think your first scout knife) they don't do the trick. I almost never need a tool that does a few things on a small scale in a small way. I think I would carry a multitool before I carried one of those. But that being said, the sell more of those now that ever.

I got my first pocket knife at age 5. I made a large "trimming cut" on my Mom's drain board, and after I got my hide trimmed pretty well, the knife was removed from my person.

It was returned on year later with a stiff warning.

I can't imagine NOT having a pocket knife, and I have more than I would care to admit. I carry two at work. Both vary in rotation, so it depends on which one I feel like carrying and which ones are sharp. Almost all my knives will shave hair; they are supposed to cut!

The small knife in my pocket is my splinter picker, and is used for any fine work along those lines. It slices easily into fingers and arms to remove wood, etc. It is great at making wood plugs for screws when I am doing door repairs. Most of the time its most important job is to cut the traditional "V" cut into the back of an occasional cigar.

The larger knife is one I clip to my pocket. It goes in the pocket with only the clip showing. This knife gets punished. It does light prying, cuts out old caulk, cuts material banding straps, opens cardboard boxes with equipment or materials, removes cuts the end of caulk tubes, etc., etc. It also does ugly utility cutting if needed such as shingles, felt paper and sheetrock if I am stuck without my utility knife.

Strangely, with all the new super steels out there and all the indestructible handle materials, the knife I like to carry on the weekends (or when I am off) is my old fashioned Barlow. This beauty is fashioned after a 100 year old pattern of blades, and is of course, the traditional tradesman work knife. It has D2 steel, and amber boned saw cut handles and is gorgeous. This one will shave anytime as I keep it as sharp as I can get it without stropping. This was a birthday present to me and it is in my pocket whenever I can work it in.

It's a good time for pocket knives as there is a renaissance in quality, design, materials and workmanship. There are about 4 makers out there that are in America that seem to be making good ground with traditionalists.

Since I tend to have mine for decades, that't a great thing for me and American business!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Robatoy wrote in news:6fd02584-2c4d-4f87-8d48- snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Gewoon op z'n nederlands .

My son-in-law teaches math of various kinds in a high school, but he isn't nearby enough to ask what you meant. Lastig ...

Reply to
Han

I vote for spiral -- works good on grapefruits, too.

Same little knife. I have two -- lose one and the other appears.

Reply to
Steve

On 21 Mar 2010 16:47:21 GMT, the infamous Han scrawled the following:

I took a trip with Mom and she got doublesearched for her (blunt nosed) sewing scissors. I sailed through the inspection with a sharpened 9" pencil 18" from the TSA inspector's eye, in my shirt pocket. My Victorinox had to be in checked luggage, as did my 4" Crescent wrench, my 5' blade/philips electronics screwdriver, my fingernail clippers, and some other tools.

I feel much safer now that babies can't have their sterile bottles on the airplane, don't you?

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:16:36 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

QS, one-handed, with my katana, of course.

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The problem is that too many tools are neon orange or yellow now. They're camouflaging each other.

Reply to
krw

Braggart

Reply to