Multitool question

I can find the Fein MSxe 636 II for around 100 dollars on Ebay and elsewhere. How much better are the newer Fein multitools? Is it worthwhile to pay the extra money to get the newer models, like the FMM series?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

More than likely most people will not have both to make a reasonable comparison. Does the one yu are interested in have the features you want?

FWIW I have an older model that you must use a wrench to change attachments. That is a PIA at times.

Mine also has less power than the newer models. I don't eve recall wanting or thinking that I needed more power.

I would NOT pay more for power, I would for a toolless model.

Reply to
Leon

I believe that that is the last model before they went to the "star" mount. While it's an excellent, capable, and durable tool, all that holds the blades in place is the friction of the screw and they tend to come loose, often at the least opportune moment.

There's a piece available that supposedly upgrades the mount to the new standard but it only works if you weld it in place.

I'd definitely go with one of the newer ones if I was buying now.

Reply to
J. Clarke

FWIW, the HF multi-tool uses a concave washer along with the bolt. The compressed washer does a really good job of keeping the bolt from loosening.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reviews of the early Harbor Freight multi-tools indicated that it they had the same problem as the Feins. Fein fixed it with a star-shaped ridge in the mount, Harbor Freight fixed it by adding pins.

It depends on what you're doing with it too. Sanding isn't generally an issue, it's more of a problem on the Fein with the saw blades.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I gave my early, single speed version to my son and bought the variable speed unit. It has the pins and the concave washer. I'm pretty sure the pins allow the use of the blades that fit the star shaped mount.

Reply to
DerbyDad03