mortised lock assy

A while back I caught a show about morising an "old style" lock into a door. (Think skeleton key). This thing clamped to the edge of the door and using what looked like a router, it cut the slot wide and deep into the door. It had a winding mechanism that moved to bit up and down and forward.

Is this a store bought machine and who sells it?

cselby

How about this one:

be others.

MJM

Reply to
mjmwallace

That was Norm and it was a Porter Cable.

Reply to
CW

...when I bought mine it was $950...when you consider what you can charge for installing a box lock, and how long (and iffy, depending on door thickness) it takes to drill and chisel by hand, it's a helluva bargain.

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

We have one at work. It is a Porter Cable. While it does excell for what it is intended it also does double duty for us. Right now we are using it to cut the mortises in a set of double doors (2 1/4" x 4'6" x

94") with 7" stiles and 8" top and midrails and over 10" bottom rails. We have a pretty decent hollow chisel mortiser but these are beyond it's capacity. The porter cable lock mortiser works extremely well for this task.

Lenny

Reply to
lenhow

Pretty much what I was thinking it would be good at doing. Nice the hear that someone else thinks like me.

cselby