Stable-style back doors...?

I want to replace the back door of my flat, prior to selling. I'm thinking of using one of those hardwood stable-style doors where the top and bottom halves open independently. The one I am interested in has glass panes in the top half. I surmise that one of these doors might be useful for someone who wants to keep the tots in and the local cats out, while allowing fresh air in while working in the kitchen on a warm day.
Are these doors generally considered desirable? Do they have any disadvantages? I suspect they may be eaiser for a burglar to break in through...
Thanks,
Mike D

It might do two of those things. It won't keep cats out - too low. They can comfortably jump onto a 1.8m high fence.

Maybe. I'm not sure.
However, for the purposes of a sale, you may find that some people like them and others hate them. Therefore it may be better to go for something of good quality but boringly conventional.

God knows who would want such a door. Cats will simply jump over. The easiest solution is a child gate or one of the nice looking metal type doors you can lock. Make sure the gaps between the bars are not too wide or animals will wander in.

God doesn't have any doors.
The OP required information on whether the doors are desirable, That's a personal opinion based on their requirements.
Having had a "Stable" type door I can confirm that they are useful for ventilation, handy for passing stuff over the top of from person outside to person inside when children are around, so preventing their escape, and are as secure as the lock fitted. The locks at the time were a 5 lever mortice on bottom half, a Yale Nightlatch on the top half and a deadbolt between the two. Worked fine.
As the OP is preparing to sell the property why replace at all unless it is a selling point and an advantage.
R wrote:

How do you know that?

Anyway, nobody asked whether God had any doors (though as he owns the whole earth and much besides, he must own a whole lot of them!!) but stated that he knew who would want such a door (a minority of people I suspect as you don't see many of them about (unless there are a great deal of frustrated would be stable door owners who just aren't making themselves heard, or don't have the financial clout to satisfy their hearts desire)..

Because the existing door is poor quality. It looks bad - and the door is almost the first thing the viewer sees when approaching the flat.
I think I might just save money and work, buy a normal hardwood door.
Thanks for the responses.
Mike
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:58:42 +0100, Mike D wrote:

I thought it was a back door?
I have one that I put in a couple of years ago. Lookswise, isn't much different from a standard door, just an extra line across the middle from the outside. The extra ventilation has been useful in summer, often leave the top half open to get a good through draft. Definitely won't keep cats out, I have a picture of my cat perched on the top of the lower half. I'm trying to sell my house at the moment. No negative comments from viewers, if anyone has commented it has been along the lines of "Oh that's useful" Also had the advantage when buying it that it fit in the back of fiesta :-)
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:05:10 +0100, John Armstrong

Sorry to confuse. It is the front door of the flat, which used to be the back door of the house before it was converted to flats.
Mike
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:05:10 +0100, John Armstrong

Thanks for that. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
It had concerned me that people might feel like they were being asked to live in a souped-up stable - which might damage their ego!

Yes - that had occurred to me too! (I also drive a small car.)
Mike