More solar stuff...

Page 2 of 3
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

I only posted here because I knew there were a few folks who've had in interest in some of the solar stuff (and because I like to share good news with friends).
I'm happy to answer questions when and as best I can - but the best place for ongoing discussions of this stuff is next door in alt.solar.thermal
This has been fun for me because the other newsgroups seem to fill up with people who like to intellectualize a thing to death, and the wreck has an abundance of people who like to roll up their sleeves and /make/ things.
Fear not - I'll bring this up again when there's more news to share... :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Well while it's still here, I have a couple of questions. Have you successfully pumped water from a significant depth using the collector you describe? What was the depth and what flow of water did you achieve? Did you have good conditions (clear sky, bright sun) for the test?
Thanks, WayneJ
WayneJ wrote:

No (haven't tried). N/A. N/A. If I had done the test, I would have done it on a clear day with bright sun.
I've only been working on engines, and although I recently picked up a pair of PVC check valves, they're still sitting on the bench. Strange as it may seem, I'll probably be the last of the group to build a pump - and may never, since my part of the job is rapidly turning into that of advisor, coach, and cheering section. The work that I had been doing is being spread out enough ways that shortly I may be able to retire from the field - no longer being needed is one of my criteria for success. :)
The lads in Pakistan did pump some water, but not from any depth (and they seemed to have some problems with both their pump connection plumbing and with their too small bore spring-loaded check valves). I haven't heard from them since just before graduation time, so don't know if they're still working on their pump (I'm guessing maybe not at present).
I've shifted my development efforts to an all-metal design that uses the trough collection pipe itself as the hot head - so we'll all have to wait for a report from Argentina to know how well this pump performs.
To my knowledge, this pump isn't a re-hash of anything that's been done before. My web page with the pump design was posted only a day after I e-mailed the original drawing to Argentina, and I posted here while that web page was still in preliminary form. What you're seeing is a snapshot of in-progress R&D, and "Team Argentina" is, indeed, pushing the leading edge.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

DAGS - pneumatic sun tracker. First hit: http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Thermal_20Pneumatic_20Tracking_20for_20Solar_20Energy you get the idea...
ditions.

the water up from the bottom, you can't suck it up. The other kind of positive displacement "pump" would be an Archimedes' Screw.

I have an idea for a valve. It approximates an artificial heart valve.

I'd use a data acquisition module from Dataq: http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di148.htm The exact design of the sensor depends upon exactly what you're trying to measure and how accurately.

like http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3F404 with the biggest OD you can fit, and the appropriate ID.

can withstand relatively high heat, and are strong/light weight. I've got a friend that is a guru in this area. He calls his garage the "Central Okla. Military Industrial Complex." Would be glad to put you in touch with him.

expensive.
Would be glad to help more with these ideas. Contact me off-list if you're interested.
Dan Major Bespoke Consulting and Design LLC snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com http://sites.google.com/site/bespokeengr/home
Dan Major wrote:

You have mail :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

they have low air usage are fairly simple mechanically, might be ideal for the in the well pump. http://www.yamadapump.com something along this line could probably be made from pvc.

I use a lot of check valves for all sorts of things at work and home, there are none available for any price that are long lasting and that actually seal. You can have one but not both. I remember the old hand well pumps had leather flap checks, very easy open, and perfect seal, best of all the repair was dirt cheap and quick.

basilisk wrote:

Those are pretty neat, and there's a strong resemblance between the fluidyne and a _half_ of one of those pumps. Where Yamadas operate on a supply of compressed air, the fluidyne operates on the pressure of expansion and contraction of a fixed volume air and substitutes a fluid piston for the diaphragm piston.

I remember watching an uncle replacing a kitchen sink pump leather with a new deerhide leather. IIRC he spent more time deciding from where on the hide the new leather would be cut than on the actual repair. :)
I suspect there will be more than a few of these pumps with leather flappers.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

If for some reason a cooked piece of meat turned out particularly tough, we would refer to it as 'pompleer'.

Crazy Dutchman, of course ...
--
Best regards
Han

Go for it Morris, and good luck to the Argentinos (spelling?)!!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Thanks! I'll guess that your spelling is correct. Beside butchering English, I can make myself misunderstood equally badly in French and Portuguese - mas no hablo. Fortunately, the Argentine engineering students seem to consider learning English an essential part of their technical education, and that's made it easy for me.
( Hmm - I have a nephew who works at Rosetta Stone, I wonder if he can get me a good deal on a Spanish course... )
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Argentines. And don't mistake them for Bolivians.
JP

Your cause is noble, you will succeed.
Robatoy wrote:

Heh - not sure about noble causes, but it's fun! If it succeeds, it'll be because the kids down there are all more qualified to bring this off than I. It's always somehow reassuring for me to (re)discover that there are smart people everywhere. :)
A 5m (about 16-1/2 feet) deep well should be a slam-dunk - but I'm hoping that everyone involved learns enough that we can put our heads together to design a 10m solution. /That/ probably won't be so easy, but it's an important next step...
By the end of this year it looks like there'll be six teams spread over five continents - a major improvement over one old duffer tinkering by himself in a drafty aircraft hangar in the middle of nowhere.
Many hands make light work.
[ No apologies for the pun :-D ]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

You could do miracles with that in Africa.
Best of luck and kudos in the venture.
I hope you make a ton of money and help a lot of people.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Ooooh - I hope so! According to the UN, there are about a billion (a thousand million) people with a /severe/ water supply problem. A lot (but nowhere near all) of them are in Africa.

Thanks. I'll pass those along to the folks who're doing the real work.

Alas! There's no profit in this project. All involved are unpaid volunteers who've agreed to put everything learned about making these things into the public domain. The goal is to come up with a design that can be produced inexpensively everywhere by anyone with only simple tools.
There's no shortage of challenges, but as more people have become involved, the pace of development has picked up considerably.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

That's wonderful.
I'm involved with a couple organizations that provide aid and training and other things to Africa. One is called the "Mocha Club," because they focus on how much only $7 (two mochas) a month can do for families and communities.
For example... * SUSTAIN life for 1 person living with AIDS. * PROVIDE clean water to 7 Africans for 1 year. * SAVE 1 person's life from malaria.
Amazing.
--

-MIKE-

Morris Dovey wrote:

Go, Morris.
If you can keep the guvmint and politicos out of it (as the Crazy Horse Memorial folks claim they have), things will probably work out.
You are a gift!
- Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

:)
I think the politicos will continue to watchfully ignore all of this, since it isn't likely to produce campaign contributions - but may provide something for which they can claim credit when the work is done. :)

Heh - actually I've been more what Robatoy (in one of his more polished moments) might call a paddlemaster - almost an /agent/ /provocateur/. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

An agent provocateur isn't bad. As long as he gets people provoked to do the /right/ thing. And you seem to be such a person!
--
Best regards
Han