Building a Buck Saw - Prometheus???

Anybody have some rough sketches or measurements they could post? I found a thread from 2003 or 4 that discussed some pics of a drawing being posted to ABPW, but long gone of course. Prometheus, if you're still here, could you repost the pictures and/or plans?

I have a hankering for an old style buck saw, something like I used to use 40+ years ago and a thousand miles from here. Right hand handle about 6 inches below the blade, slight angle on both the uprights (braces?), loose tennon cross brace, and baling wire twisted together to tension the blade.

Looking for some guidance on the angle of the vertical sticks, width of the wood, etc. The more detailed the better, but general guidelines appreciated. I can always fiddle with the dimensions to get something I like, just trying to cut down on the iterations.

Thanks!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

RE: Subject

Google "Buck Saw Plans".

Up comes Good Mother Earth site with plans.

You will also get some links to "Saw Buck Plans"

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks Lew. I've been Googling all night, and MEN was one of the many sites I've been searching. Here's the best I've found, but I can't get it to print out. This is the Oct

1980 Popular Mechanics.
Page 188 if it doesn't open there.

I may try to pick the dimensions off the image it tomorrow. Maybe someone out there has a copy of the October 1980 Popular Mechanics they could loan me? This looks like the saw I remember using, and that is what I want to build.

I may have a copy of the Jul/Aug 2001 issue of Backwoodsman that should have an article according to their web archive. I'll look tomorrow, getting late tonight. I was somewhat surprised to find nothing on the Shopsmith site. Their Handson mag usually has something like this in their free plans.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

thread from 2003 or 4

course. Prometheus, if

years ago and a

slight angle on both

together to tension the

wood, etc. The more

with the dimensions to

Here's one I have had since forever. It was my father's saw.

_ / \ / 20 \ 3 /----------------------\__ / \ / \ 27 / 26 \ 11 /------------------------------\__ / \ / \20 / 31 \ /--------------------------------------\__ / / _ /

Hope this is readable. The numbers are lengths in inches. For example, the turnbuckle (top dashed line) is 20" measured from the outside of the frame to the outside of the frame on the other side. The vertical measurements one the right run from the top of the frame member to each horizontal member (turnbuckle, brace, blade). If this doesn't come out, email me (drop the mahalo) and I can send a pencil sketch of the piece.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Oh and the angle of the side pieces with the horizontal is about 10 degrees. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

thread from 2003 or 4

course. Prometheus, if

40+ years ago and a

slight angle on both

together to tension the

wood, etc. The more

with the dimensions to

Perfect!! Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. ASCII art in your original posting looks better than this ariel format I use.

Wood about 2.5 inches wide for the uprights, 1.5 inches for the cross brace sound about right? I remember the lower handle was sculpted down towards the size of a splitting maul handle.

Thanks again Jo4hn!

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

thread from 2003 or 4

course. Prometheus, if

40+ years ago and a

slight angle on both

together to tension the

wood, etc. The more

fiddle with the dimensions to

original posting looks

sound about right? I

You are about right on the wood sizes. The thickness is 7/8". It is difficult to say what the wood is since I am dealing with paint and probable petrification. :-) It is not very dense so it may well be SPF. It now lives on the shop wall with a one man crosscut and a rusty brace and long augur I found buried in the dirt during the construction of my house. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Thanks to both you and Lew for responding. I have enough to build it now. Might have to fiddle with the handle size to get it to feel right, but that's ok.

Regards, Roy

a thread from 2003 or 4

of course. Prometheus, if

40+ years ago and a