building a sawbuck

Thanks to all who participate in these useful and entertaining forums. Here is my new project for your consideration.

I am planning to build a large X-shaped sawbuck for the purpose of cutting firewood on my property. I am still in the pre-planning stage but have a few ideas I am ready to share. I want to be able to gang-cut multiple logs or slabs in this device. I want to be able to load it either by hand or with a Bobcat grapple. I also want to be able to pick it up and move it around with a Bobcat forklift. I want the uprights to be spaced so that I can cut a given length of wood by cutting at the location of the uprights .

As to the materials and methods. I have 4/4 rough sawn oak on hand but am willing to consider something else. I have my own sawmill and can mill oak or poplar to any dimension. I could also buy treated. I think I can make the uprights by using a lapped joint. Each upright could be a sandwich created by using one full lenght 4/4 board and one board cut to create the joint. I could also mill or buy some 8/4 stock and then just notch the uprights to form the joint. What do you think? What thickness and width of boards should I use for the uprights?

I have scrap plywood on hand that can be used to brace the lower half of the uprights and also between the lower uprights. I then plan to use 1x4's or similar as braces between the upper uprights. This will allow me to access the sawbuck from the sides or the ends for the purpose of moving it with the fork lift. I am planning to pick it up from the sides by putting the fork under this bracing and from the ends by puttng the fork under the X itself. Screws and liquid nails are what I have in mind for fastening. How does it sound so far?

I think it should be 8 feet long which is the length of logs I am cutting. What should the overall height of it be? At what height should I make the X where the uprights cross? It should be short enough to be hand loaded and easily used but it should be tall enough so that it will hold a generous amount of wood. I am six feet tall. What should the width of the base be? It should be stable on uneven ground. I am planning to do a drawing to finalize the details.

Please let me know how these ideas sound to you and if you have any questions. Please also offer any ideas or sugeestions you may have. I plan to scan and post the drawing for the group after I get some feedback but before I finalize the details. I also plan to post pics of the sawbuck. Thanks again to all for your participation.

Lawrence

Reply to
lwhaley

Snip>

Wow, Lawrence, sounds like you've got the thing built already. I think it's going to be one of those 'work in progress' things, though, you know? Build one, and if you don't like it (too tall, too long) or it breaks (falls apart, joints fail, wood fails, cut it with the saw accidentally), just build another one. It is, after all, just a sawbuck. The good news is that you can prolly salvage about all of the materials for V 1.2.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM

| > I am planning to build a large X-shaped sawbuck for the purpose of | > cutting firewood on my property. |=20 | Snip>

| > Lawrence |=20 | Wow, Lawrence, sounds like you've got the thing built already. I = think | it's going to be one of those 'work in progress' things, though, you | know? Build one, and if you don't like it (too tall, too long) or it | breaks (falls apart, joints fail, wood fails, cut it with the saw | accidentally), just build another one. It is, after all, just a | sawbuck. The good news is that you can prolly salvage about all of = the | materials for V 1.2. |=20 | Good luck, let us know how it turns out. |=20 | -Phil Crow |=20

And don't forget to get a good bucksaw for your sawbuck.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

Well, it sounds like you've already planned and developed it, but if not, I built the twin of Darrell and it works for me:

Thanks to all who participate in these useful and entertaining forums.

Mac

mac davis

If you give that much attention to detail, for a saw-buck, I could use you in my shop.

Reply to
hard_way