More "name that wood".

Mixed in the large pile of "mahogany" I bought was a board that looked just like MDF, only much lighter in weight. Sanded to 220 there was no grain visible. With some oil on it, it has extremely fine straight grain, with a hint of figure.
Another unspecified "mahogany"?

Ramin ?

It is very light and from what I have read, Ramin is moderately heavy; so probably not. I also looked up spruce, and the grain on spruce is much more pronounced. Without a finish, this looks exactly like MDF.
toller wrote:

Maybe it's MDF. :)
The last time I had a what-wood-is-this challenge, it turned out to be painted MDF. They did a really excellent job woodgraining it.
(No, that's probably not the case here, but still an interesting factoid nonetheless.)
Spruce?
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mixed in the large pile of "mahogany" I bought was a board that looked just like MDF, only much lighter in weight. Sanded to 220 there was no grain visible. With some oil on it, it has extremely fine straight grain, with a hint of figure.
Another unspecified "mahogany"?

The 'much lighter n weight' makes it sound like one of the 'African' mahogany types.
Although those varieties -usually- show 'some' grain.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in message wrote:

sounds like you got into a pile of some Laun Some will be as dark and as heavy as Mahogany and other pieces will be as bland looking as MDF and only a fraction of the weight of real mahogany

Maybe it is Luan. Most of it is nearly white, but some pieces are darker than walnut and a couple are pink. Then there's those two that look like MDF. The heavier pieces are at least twice the weight of the lightest, and the heavier ones are usually the darkest. Sound like Luan? (I was thinking more like African)

and the heavier ones are usually the darkest.

*** It does not sound like anything. How about a picture (says more than a thousand words) PvR