Mission Style Mantel and TV Wall Project

Page 1 of 2
Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel. Comments and questions welcome. Rich
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll279/evodawg/TV%20Wall /
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
On 3/20/2010 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:

Man oh man, that is one _beautifully_ executed design!
I absolutely love the wooden arch mirroring the top arc of the fireplace screen. Brilliant design touch!
This is worthy of a mention in FWW ... magnificient.
Just showed it to SWMBO, who does the interior design for the houses I build. She loves it also.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 3/20/2010 2:34 PM, Swingman wrote:

Agreed - the mantle is beautiful! Reworking the generic white painted MDF crapola mantle in our recently purchased Austin-area home is on my long list of to-dos; I think I just got some new-found inspiration to bump up the priority of the mantle on my list... VERY nice work.
Swingman wrote:

Thanks, Customer wanted it that way. He and she gets all the credit for that. They had the screen already and the thing weighs a ton!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
On 3/20/10 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:

Did I mention, I hate you?
--

-MIKE-

Very NICE! Nice touch mirroring the shape of the fireplace opening and or screen.
On 3/20/10 2:27 PM, Evodawg wrote:

Now that I'm over my jealousy, a few questions... - What techniques did you use to make the crown/cove, or was it bought? I love how sharp it gets. - How did you decide on the angle of the two inner stiles on the upper panels. They are attractive... I'm just curious if it was completely improvised or was there a method to the madness. - In the arched rail, I can't tell if those perpendicular lines are grain or inflections. Is the rail veneer, cut from a really wide board, or (gasp!) steam bent?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Crown was bought, trim piece at top was rounded over and top 3/4 was set inside the trim.

At first I was going to use straight vertical pieces but for grins I turned them a bit and liked the look.

Cut from a wide board. Think I made at least 10 drawings then a cardboard template, finally permanent template. I had to make 2 final pieces. The back one is 2 pieces glued together. I took my time looking for the front piece. The Hardwood supplier got pissed because I made a mess of his stack. If you look close it has lots of tiger stripes in it. I told the customer to get a brass gas valve cover plate but never has. I think the chrome one looks ghetto.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

> At first I was going to use straight vertical pieces but for grins I turned > them a bit and liked the look. >
Beautiful. Definitely looks better than vertical *and* better than perpendicular to the curve. It's almost always better to just go with what looks good to the eyes.

After about the third purchase involving someone giving me a hard time for picking, when the owner decided to put in his 2 cents about me "messing up the stacks," I finally told the guy straight up, "Look man, with all due respect, first of any pile I pick through is going to look better when I'm done, than it did when I started. And secondly, I'm either picking the lumber I buy from you, or I'm picking what I buy somewhere else. You can choose."

Even brass plated would look better. :-) I vote for patinated bronze.
--

-MIKE-

Nice design, color and shape. Beautiful curve, thanks for sharing.
Evodawg wrote:

I really like the style of the mantel.

Rob Leatham
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:27:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg

Cool mantel, Rich. (What's with the red finish? Camera, I hope.)
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks, that's the finish the customer picked. Camera is probably showing a little more red then reality. But that's what they wanted and it does go along with the mission style in California. Customer loves it, so that's all that counts, right????
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
On 3/21/2010 2:35 PM, Evodawg wrote:

You bet! My mantra ... I just build'em, the customer colors them.
Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the client's color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Not to mention you can get in real trouble offering to much input. You have to know when enough is enough. Also I try to limit choices, it just confuses them with to many and then the stall is on. I have also had customers ask me to make the choice because they have been told they have no taste. That even makes me more uncomfortable. If it all goes wrong it's YOUR fault!!!!
I know what I like and I know my taste. I don't know my customers unless I have worked with them before. Customers either know or have no clue!!! The ideal situation is your tastes are the same, which ideally never happens.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

Damn, since you are color blind, it would have to be extraordinarily ugly to achieve the "ruined" status. Some people just have no class.
On 3/21/2010 4:01 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Hey, Bubba ... just because I'm color blind doesn't mean I think a barber pole is a tasteful decorative touch!
Now, my black velvet Elvis ... that's something else altogether!
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I hope you have it in a display case under UV light.
On 3/21/2010 7:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Right under the flashing neon "Pearl Beer" bar sign over the bathroom door, by gawd! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote: