MINOR BIG LOTS CLAMP GLOAT

Going by the Smithfield, NC, Big Lots today and decided to stop. Found bar clamps, two 12" and two 24", in a pack, for $9.99. Got a pack.

I have some of the 12" clamps from them, and they work great. Four pack for $8+, at the time, same as I've seen at $3-5+ each, other places.

If anyone in the area is interested, they had maybe a dozen packs left, along with some 6" quick clamps, and, I beleive, 12" bar clamps.

I try to stop anytime I'm close, their stock changes so often.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

I bought some parallel clamps/hand screws from them before, not bad clamps. Great price too.

KY

Reply to
Kentucky Highlander

Oh, all right...

You suck (a bit).

I wait for the flyers from House of Tools here and pick up 24" bar clamps for $3 CAD a piece. They're decent quality and I've got a couple of dozen of them now.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I have a bunch of those, but you gotta be careful. One package I bought had the grooves in the bar too shallow, they won't hold under serious pressure.

Several others have been great. I guess you win some you lose some.

My advice is to test 'em for strength in the store before buying. Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Reply to
Mike Patterson

those seem to be the same clamps as harbor freight carries. I have some from both places. I always look them over carefully before I buy- they have a high rate of manufacturing defects. with care you can find some good ones, but I think I'd shy away from a package deal.

Reply to
bridger

Fri, Jun 11, 2004, 10:04pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com says: those seem to be the same clamps as harbor freight carries. I have some from both places. I always look them over carefully before I buy- they have a high rate of manufacturing defects. with care you can find some good ones, but I think I'd shy away from a package deal.

Yup, they look about the same. Seen about the same in Lowes, and other places. Widely varying prices too. On the other hand, form follows function.

All the ones I've gotten from Big Lots are "good" quality, no defects.

A bit back, I bought a plastic, dial caliper, for $2. For metal work, no way. But, a Hell of a lot easier to check small measurements then a ruler. Got it home, the pack says inches, it's in milimeters. LOL Stopped later, to see if they had one in inches, and none period.

JOAT You know it's gonna be a bad day, when you turn on the news and they're showing escape routes out of the city.

Reply to
J T

either I'm pickier about clamps or the big lots and harbor freight stores here get lower grade stuff than the ones in your part of the country. I get about 3 rejects per keeper straight off of the shelf. I get some odd looks from the store personnel with piles of clamps, but I tidy up the area before I leave....

Reply to
bridger

Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 9:51am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com lamentt: either I'm pickier about clamps or the big lots and harbor freight stores here get lower grade stuff than the ones in your part of the country. I get about 3 rejects per keeper straight off of the shelf. I get some odd looks from the store personnel with piles of clamps, but I tidy up the area before I leave....

I've not bought any from HF, too pricey. LOL But, none of the Big Lots clamps I've looked at were bad. I guess we're a better class of peoiple, and they're shipping all the good stuff here. LMAO

I think I've only got about 8 or 10, and they've all been good. A lot of my clamping needs are being met with shopmade cam clamps - working out great in my glueup jigs. Just that the bar clamps are sooo much handier on a couple of proejects. I've got some of the Big Lots "quick clamps" and those are really great, but only 6". One day I'm gong to get some metal bar stock, cut a few clamps in two, and rivet with the bar stock, to get some extended quick clamps.