Mineral oil uses in the woodshop?

Just got a bottle of mineral oil for Monkey pod salad bowls. What other uses are there for it in the shop?

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Butcher's block, or anything else that will come into contact with food.

Reply to
AL

Take some at bedtime. Makes things move easier in the morning. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Lubricant for french polishing

Lubricant for sanding some finishes that tend to clog sandpaper.

Low-temperature thin oily lubricant for some mechanisms - 3in1 goes a bit thick in the Winter.

Stopping mosquitoes breeding in the water butt (seals the air off - stops the larvae beathing).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Cutting boards, spoons, rolling pins, pasta drying rack, or any other kitchen utensils.

Reply to
Phisherman

Chapped hands. But don't do it when you need to keep a good grip on things...

Reply to
John McGaw

What is a water butt in the UK? In the States, if I have water butt, it's time to take some Pepto Bismol.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
George

Good "natural" finish for food contact items and thus any toys/items that could find their way into a baby's mouth. (ie blocks)

Reply to
Tchswoods

Weeeeell, not so much a "finish" as lubrication. Further, as it does not cure, it picks ups dust and dirt pretty easily. Like the wife's swiffer.

Reply to
George

Cut it 50/50 with kerosene, and use it as a lubricant on your Arkansas oilstone for sharpening.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn de Souza

that would make it a good choice to lube wooden threads.

BRuce

George wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

I use it for lubrication on my Norton oilstone rotating bath, its cheaper than the oil sold for that purpose, and put it in an old dishwashing liquid bottle and use it on other stones for sharpening lubrication.

Reply to
Mutt

Heat it and have your masseuse rub your shoulders with it while you are working with your wood.

Reply to
JackD

I use mineral oil to lube my cabinet scrapers before burnishing, as a lubricant when rubbing out a finish with pumice and rottenstone, and as a lubricant for my rubber when French polishing. Doesn't take much but it does the trick. I've had the same bottle for 8 years.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

Eeuw ! This is mineral oil. Not nice stuff for massage oil.

Try grapeseed oil instead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley