Mildly OT: Suggestions for a new pocket knife

Page 2 of 3

http://www.worldknives.com/products/boker-tree-brand-thuya-lockback-knife-bo2002th-1536.html
I had a Boker at one time. If they still make them like they used to, you will be happy with it. Bought mine in Germany nearly 30 years ago.
"Steve Turner"wrote:

------------------------- I've always been partial to Buck.
Still have a marlin spike sailor's knife I bought over 30 years ago.
Take a look nat the "Stockman 301 Single Blade" for a simple piece of equipment.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/26lv2dm
Lew
On 10/2/2010 6:57 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've had a couple of Buck knives through the years and I liked them very much. However, I just looked through that entire list and didn't find anything that really struck me as "me", and I found a whole LOT of stuff that made me say "What the HELL?" I kind felt like I was shopping for a pair of tennis shoes. Thanks anyway though. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

FWIW I have had several Buck knives. I liked them when new but all of them seemed to loosen up and become sloppy. The Kershaw has remained tight.
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says...

I like the Gerber paraframe. Solid and easy to clean. Plus, I sent one back to get a new screw and spacer, and Gerber sent me new knife.
http://www.rei.com/product/700567
On 10/03/2010 12:20 AM, sam wrote:

Gerber, eh? Thanks; Wasn't aware of that brand, and I have a REI just up the road from me. The REI pages show quite a few that look pretty good to me, and a lot cheaper than the Boker I was looking at. :-) I'm kinda partial to this one:
http://www.rei.com/product/752017
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

I've carried a pocket knife since highschool over 40 years ago. The one in my left pocket is a MeyerCo "Stingray" assisted opening drop point knife. Clipped to my left pocket is a Bessey folding utility knife. For the last two years most often it's the Bessey that gets used.
The Bessey knife came be seen at:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-22.htm
Contrary to the info at the site above the blade does open easily with one hand and it is not necessary to press the blade lock release lever.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

That very same knife is available under the Husky (Home Despot) brand.... at least the mechanics of it. I'm thinking more of it as a promo item than an example of Bessey's quality.
Robatoy wrote:

I have a couple of Husky knives. They do not have a rubberized handle, the thumb rest on the back of the blade or a compartment for blade storage. Those features I find quite useful.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I went to Olfa LLB black blades in their respective handles some time ago. I'm very happy with those. They don't have the strength of a good lath knife, but they sure are sharp. Are the Husky parts interchangeable with the Bessey, you think?
Robatoy wrote:
<snip>

Comparing the Husky and the Bessey side by side I'd say the steel mechanism is probably made by the same company. The Bessey's torx head screws are in a slightly different position and the Bessey has additional machining. Other than the blade, I don't think the parts would be interchangeable.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I use the Olfa black snap off blades too. I believe they're sharper and the edges on them last longer too.

Princess Auto often has some really good prices on black Olfa blades.... really good pricing.

In all honesty, I've never been to a Princess Auto. No particular reason really, just that there isn't one anywhere around my neck of the woods.

You're not missing much. The place just stinks of cheap Chinese rubber.

Contrary to what the article says, Bessey does not make these. They are made in China and you can buy them with various handles and with various names on them. Mine is a Sheffield.
snipped-for-privacy@swtacobell.net says...

That's a nice looking knife. Yeah, Gerber's been around a long time.
says...

Yeah I personally have known about Gerber since 1978.
On 10/4/2010 7:42 AM, Leon wrote:

Must have slipped past me all these years. Wouldn't be the first time! :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Heh!
I'd send the knife to the manufacturer with a note about how long you've had it, how happy you are with it, and the fondness for the little fellow that has grown so much that it's almost a member of your family. Going on, ask if it can be restored to its original beauty and utility and cost be damned!
I'd bet a fulsome letter will get you a new knife. For free.