Metrication.

Page 1 of 3
Anybody ever attempt to do woodworking or carpentry using metric measurements?
I attempted it once after a fellow woodworker convinced me he liked it better and it was easier. I got so confused and gave up due to worrying about wrecking my project supplies.
I admit I have been screwed many times on using a feet and inch tape measure, like this. - Measure fitting spot at 5'6" - go to wood piece - pick up other tape measure - measure 56" - cut wood - fit piece into spot - swear a lot - remeasure spot - wonder WTF happened? - repeat until tape measure breaks glass in window.
On 2/21/2011 3:51 PM, Josepi wrote:

is far easier for me than inches/feet. I don't know why I don't use it at home other than the fact that I would constantly have to convert in order to purchase something for any project I am working on. Many things now are measured in both inches/feet AND metric, so I may have to dig out my old metric tape and have a go at it.
The other thing that keeps me from changing is the construction calculator which will do either one, but takes a lot of the worry out of calculations in inches/feet.
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
-------------------------------- "Robert Allison" wrote in message
I have worked at a couple of chemical plants that were all metric. It is far easier for me than inches/feet. I don't know why I don't use it at home other than the fact that I would constantly have to convert in order to purchase something for any project I am working on. Many things now are measured in both inches/feet AND metric, so I may have to dig out my old metric tape and have a go at it.
The other thing that keeps me from changing is the construction calculator which will do either one, but takes a lot of the worry out of calculations in inches/feet.
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
On 2/21/2011 6:20 PM, Josepi wrote:

By the way, what was so confusing about the metric system for you? Hard to stop at 10?
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
"Robert Allison" wrote in message
By the way, what was so confusing about the metric system for you? Hard to stop at 10?
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
On 2/22/2011 7:35 AM, Josepi wrote:

It is far easier to say 151.9 centimeters.
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
On 2/21/2011 4:00 PM, Robert Allison wrote:

Interesting read on the subject: "Measuring America", on how civilizations are built by systems of measurement and how strongly political and economic factors are involved.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yeah, about 1-1/2" (1-5/8" swelled, wet pressure-treated tubafores) by 3-1/2" since the Sixties.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine
I think someone should invent/make a pair of special glasses, such that when one looks at imperial measured stuff, they see it in metric... and, with the same glasses, vice versa. That would save everyone some time and headaches.
Besides, what if we can only count up to 9?
Sonny
Perfect! Metric typically uses base 10 and 0 to 9 are all the digits you need to understand!
No more dividing by 12, or 16th of an inch. We saw you cheating a few times, counting the 32nds after the inch line instead of multiplying it out and adding one.
How many times have we gone to the saw, repeating out loud, "one 32nd shy of 11/16"?
LOL
-------------------- "Sonny" wrote in message
I think someone should invent/make a pair of special glasses, such that when one looks at imperial measured stuff, they see it in metric... and, with the same glasses, vice versa. That would save everyone some time and headaches.
Besides, what if we can only count up to 9?
Sonny
The only two countries in the world that don't mandate the use of the metric system are the US and Myanmar (Burma).

Typically? What are some of the other bases?
In article

Well, our computers use base 2
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

Never, it was always 3/32nd short of 3/4 :-)
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

For the humour-impaired, they were about 1.5 cm by 3.5 cm.

Crap, that's only roughly 5/8" by 1-3/8". Not even humorous.
-- The more passions and desires one has, the more ways one has of being happy. -- Charlotte-Catherine

All the time these days
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

Drywall in Europe comes in 4x8ft sheets: Directly from the website of a big box store (Gamma):
# size 122x61 or 244x122 cm. # thickness 9-12-15-18 mm.
--
Best regards
Han