message volume

Page 1 of 2
Is it my ISP or has traffic in this newsgroup dropped? I used to see over 100 messages a day, now it's down around 50-60. This used to be one of the few newsgroups that didn't drop off in the summer or even for holidays. Now it seems it has.

It isn't just this group. Newsgroups in general, have dropped off in recent years. Spammers, trolls, politics, etc. have taken their toll.

All Clinton's fault.

Which one?
B.

George
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

It has dropped significantly below pre 06/24/2008 levels.
Lew

Hang in there, Lew!
--
Best regards
Han

Yep, significant decrease in traffic. Part of the reason could be fallout from the large amount of OT posted over the last year or so.

dropped nearly as much..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:56:46 -0700, Larry Blanchard

I subscribe to over 20 newsgroups and all of them have reduced activity. I have been using newsgroups since 1989. Back then there were very few spammers, floods, and off-topic posts. With some newsgroups I have dropped them in favor of moderated forums, although the responses can be quite slow.
1989 ???
What ISP were you using then ?
Phisherman wrote:

newsgroups were around a LONG time before isp's were. back then it was usenet, with computers passing around newsgroup traffic between them. i've been using email since 1973, newsgroups since about 1985 or so, long before isp's were around.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

What email were you using in 1973?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Ahhhh - I know multics well. A Honeywell/GE operating system - very favored by the US Govt.
I was not aware that multics had an email capability.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:46:30 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

We had Multics on a GE635 at Hughes Aircraft around 1966 or so. I remember running a job and having the source listing come out on one printer, the link edit list on another, and the actual program output on a third :-).
I've still got the preliminary manual for the IDS database, the first one commercially available IIRC.
By that time I'd been programming computers for about 10 years - yes, I am that old :-).
MH"*&#E 2$ P-&QLCPJ"+)1P($!,=&B0E'A1H&$)))1%I%2 ?(1\>&(4`""(@ 4K!46K"!0L%I"I B<?A46;0D"`#L` ` end
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:17:54 -0700, charlie wrote:

Could be - my memory is a little fuzzy back that far. I think a local service bureau had a 645 a few years later.

That's the computing equivalent of being older than dirt! ;-)
A young whipper-snapper