MDF Shortage?

Page 1 of 3
Is there a shortage of MDF? I have been in three of the big box stores in Wichita and not a sheet is available. A Lowe's employee told me they have been out for weeks.
Anywhere else?
RonB

Yup, my main supplier in London,ON is out of 1/2" and 1" MDF, has been for weeks.
"Robatoy" wrote in message On Jan 16, 12:01 am, "RonB" wrote:

Still getting it, in dribbles, here, but the rumor is that the mdf shortage is apparently due to a world wide shortage of methanol.
It's always something ... go to pour a foundation, suddenly concrete, readily available last week, is in short supply; trim a house, suddenly sheet goods, heretofore plentiful, are hard to find.
Somebody want to pay me to quit so we can just skip all this shortage shit?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

I would pay you but there is a shortage of money now :-P

I'm going through that very thinking right now. Our shop sit across the street from a lake in western washington and a developer that has the waterfront has to have our dirt to make his project work. He's offered a lot of money for the dirt and we countered for even more which he accepted if we can close by the end of the month. In addition we're a small 5 man electrical contracting shop and they gave us a one year lease back for $100 for the year and $100K to move or close. Ran another add last week for an experienced tech and got one call and the guy had no experience at all. I'm only 58 but stronly considering just staying home and getting better at my woodworking.
Mike

You'd think they could just grow more termites...
Clint

Clint wrote:

Fine lumber has it in 1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1". All double refined except the 5/8, which is single refined. They are a little low on 1/4", but they have bundles of the rest.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

When you hear about nothing in the news but closing lumber mills it makes you wonder about how they can run out with so much apparently surplus milling capacity
Brent Ottawa On

covered floor space now visible.
jc

From what I have been hearing, Lowe's sales have been way off especially in December and they may be cutting back on the value of their inventory.
It's not just Lowes....
The building industry is in the dumps and heading down even more in the coming months.
Myrtle Beach, S.C. has more than 9,000 condo's on the market. That's new sales, not resales.
I have read that Miami area is even worse.
Construction guys are in a real jamb here.
Leon wrote:

Hummm...maybe its time to start looking for a beach condo<g>.
Skip www.ShopFileR.com

"Skip Williams" wrote

I wouldn't count on it ... the prices in many areas don't seem to be dropping to match the media's gleeful 'doom and gloom'.
Kept hearing how bad the housing market in Hot Springs was back in December ... until, that is, I started looking for "comps" to get an idea of a properties value, and was seeing what I would consider high prices, even down here in Houston where the market hasn't been all that bad.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

According to that scenario, there should be plenty of mdf/building materials available, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Swingman wrote:
According to that scenario, there should be plenty of mdf/building materials available, eh?
Pat Barber wrote:

But I'd expect that to result in a downturn in building which would make materials a glut on the market.

--John
"Pat Barber" wrote:

Based on the 4th qtr reports of the financial industry yesterday, I have a very uncomfortable feeling that the building industry is just the "canary in the coal mine".
It's going to be tough going for a while.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

"Pendulums swing, like pendulums do ..."
In this case the media has a vested interest in doom and gloom ... until after 11/08. Take a look at the DJ five year average:
http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=djia&sid 43&time=5yr&Submit1=Refresh
Terrible ain't it?
IOW, don't believe a damn thing you see or read, they're all lying to further their agenda's, and they ALL have an agenda.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07